This entry is also available in: Español
Watermelon agua fresca is a a refreshing, bright and colourful mexican drink made with watermelon, lime juice and sugar. This summer beverage is full of fruit flavour and perfect to serve in a family dinner.
What is agua fresca?
Aguas frescas (plural) are mexican non-alcoholic beverages usually made with fruit. In Mexico you can find them in the streets and they’re super refreshing. There are many recipes for aguas frescas and for almost every fruit and citrus available, there is the agua fresca version: Think of mango, kiwi, pineapple, lime, tamarind, oranges, strawberries. But also vegetables like cucumber agua fresca or even grains to make horchata agua fresca.
I like aguas frescas!
Since I am living in Italy; I don’t prepare so much agua fresca as I wish. Truth is, I got just used to drink plain water as it is and lets be honest, agua fresca is delicious but we can’t forget is still a sugary drink and sometimes we just need to pay attention to our sugar intake.
Anyway, this doesn’t mean I banned them completely from my cooking repertory, I just try to drink them not as often as I used to do it when I was in Mexico. So I make them for special occasions like summer gatherings, because despite they contain sugar, I still prefer them over any canned drink like soda or juices.
Tips & tricks
- When you adding the sugar make sure the water is at room temperature so it can dissolve easy and fast. If you use cold water, dissolving sugar can be a hard task and you don’t want sugar grains in your fresca, not specially if you enjoying with your meal.
- Ad as much water as is need to make the fresca actually a light drink and not a slushie or a smoothie drink.
- I prefer my frescas to be super smooth and don’t have fruit bites so I strain the blend, always. If you prefer a more fruity texture, go ahead and add the water straight from the blender.
- If you want make this watermelon fresca ahead of time, do not add ice to the pitcher or you will end with a unsavoury drink after the ice has melted. Place the pitcher in the fridge instead and only add ice right when serving.
- Don’t sure about adding sugar? No worries, this watermelon agua fresca is delicious as it is. Omit the sugar and you still will have a refreshing and savoury drink. Or just replace refined sugar with any sweetener you prefer.
How to make watermelon fresca
Cut the watermelon into chunks discarding the skin and seeds.
Add watermelon to a blender, pour two cups of water and blend until very smooth.
Strain watermelon mixture into a large pitcher. Add lime juice and remaining water.
Add sugar to taste mixing throughly to dissolve the sugar before adding more.
Place pitcher in the fridge for at least one hour.
Serve with ice.
More agua fresca recipes
Watermelon agua fresca
- 1 kg (2.5lb) watermelon cut in chunks
- 2 lt (9 cups) water
- 1 lime juice
- sugar or honey, stevia, etc.
- Cut the watermelon into chunks discarding the skin and seeds.
- Add watermelon to a blender, pour two cups of water and blend until very smooth.
- Strain watermelon mixture into a large pitcher. Add lime juice and remaining water.
- Add sugar to taste mixing throughly to dissolve the sugar before adding more.
- Place pitcher in the fridge for at least one hour. Serve with ice.