A chia drink with lemon, so refreshing and nutritious that you won’t believe how easy is to make. Is also very cheap compared to the store-bought chia drinks that are so popular right now.
What can be more refreshing than a glass of chia and lemon agua fresca? This drink has a lot of meaning to me because it brings back very nice memories of my childhood. My grandpa and I used to go to the paletería and treat ourselves with a chia and lemon paleta or agua fresca. For those who are not Mexicans, a paletería is an ice cream parlour very popular in Mexico.
what is chia?
Chia is a widely used seed in Mexico and latinoamerica, it is mainly used to add it to drinks but there are also sweets prepared with it, for example the pre-Hispanic Pinole. The nutritional properties of chia are well know and is also a very versatile seed. Here in Italy it is not very easy to find it and -like all imported products- it is expensive, but not as much as having to buy store-bought chia drinks or other products that contains this seed. So at the end, is worth the investment.
Where to buy chia seeds?
If you live in Mexico chia can be buy at almost every market. If you live outside Mexico there are many whole/organic stores that sells packed chia seeds. Also, Amazon is your place to go, I have find chia in many countries through this online store.
Un cappuccino la mattina is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Chia drink tips
- Add chia slowly while whisk vigorously. This way the seeds have the time to soak separately and add a nice texture instead of becoming a mess.
- Allow the drink to rest for at least 30 minutes. Preferably a couple or hours.
- I always add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds for every litre or 1 1/2 lt of water. If you want to add more chia seeds, go ahead.
- Use other kind of sweeteners if you prefer, like honey or stevia.
How to make lemon chia drink at home
Add water in a large pitcher. Cut half a lemon in slices and set aside.
Add lemon juice to the pitcher and sugar to taste.
Stir in chia seeds slowly while whisking vigourolsy. Add mint leaves and the slices of lemon. Mix well and place in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours.
Serve with ice.
MORE AGUA FRESCA RECIPES
Chia drink with lemon (agua fresca)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 1/2 lt water
- 3 lemons
- mint leaves
- brown sugar
- Add water in a large pitcher. Cut half a lemon in slices and set aside.
- Add lemon juice to the pitcher and sugar to taste.
- Stir in chia seeds slowly while whisking vigourolsy. Add mint leaves and the slices of lemon. Mix well and place in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours.
- Serve with ice.