Blue Corn Tacos With Zucchini and Black Beans
Those blue corn tacos are the best meatless tacos ever. Filled with a flavorful zucchini mixture, then topped with blackbeans, and crumbled queso fresco. Drizzle with your favorite salsa and you’ll be ready to dig into this deliciousness.
I made those tacos using my recipe for blue corn tortillas. It is a very easy recipe and I truly hope you’ll give a try because not store-bought blue tortillas compares to making your own.
Why to make this recipe
Don’t get fooled by people saying Mexican food is heavy and not healthy at all. Actually, many traditional and authentic recipes are not only vegetarian but also naturally vegan, think of a nopales salad or black beans tlacoyos for instance.
The blue corn tacos I am sharing with you today, are not only vegetarian, but can be easily turned into vegan if you just leave out the cheese. The recipe is for sure healthy and whole, starting from the more nutritious blue corn tortillas, to the vegetables used for the filling, the proteins from black beans (I recommend cooking your own frijoles de la olla) and even the toppings: Fresh pico de gallo salsa and homemade salsa verde.
Soft blue corn masa tortillas
If you decide to go with blue corn homemade tortillas, here’s a little tip to keep them soft and pliable: Wrap them up with a kitchen towel and place them in a plastic bag. The heat will create some sort of steam and keep the tortillas non only warm but also perfectly soft.
I decided to make some salsa verde with green tomatoes, you can check out our recipe for tomatillo salsa verde or use your favorite salsa. This molcajete salsa is also a perfect option for those blue corn tacos, or fake guacamole can pair nicely too.
How To Make The Zucchini Filling
- Dice onions, tomatoes and zucchini. Chop jalapeño peppers and mince the garlic clove. Set everything aside.
- In a medium pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add first onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Then add chilies and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add zucchini and keep cooking while stirring constantly until zucchini will be slightly tender but not cooked through (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, corn and garlic. Mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup of water, mix and season with salt and pepper. Cook until all vegetables are cooked through and there’s almost not liquid left. Set aside.
Assemble the tacos
- Place black beans in a small pan and heat them up in the stove.
- Place a blue corn tortilla flat in a plate.
- Add a couple spoonfuls of the zucchini mixture then some black beans.
- Top with pico de gallo salsa, crumbled queso fresco and finish with a drizzle of salsa.
2 Amazing drinks to pair with blue corn tacos:
- TEPACHE:The tangy and classically tart flavor of this fermented drink is something that pairs perfectly with those blue corn tacos.
- AGUA DE PEPINO: Refreshing, easy to make and delicious, this cucumber and lime fresca is one of my favorites too!
Blue Corn Tacos With Zucchini and Black Beans
For the zucchini mixture
- 1 lb zucchini (diced)
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 jalapeño peppers (seeded and chopped)
- ½ cup canned corn (drained)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
For blue corn tacos
- 8 blue corn tortillas (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cups cooked black beans (read notes)
- 1 cup pico de gallo salsa
- ½ cup queso fresco (crumbled)
- tomatillo salsa verde (or your fav Mexican salsa)
Make the zucchini mixture
- Heat the oil in pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add chopped jalapeño chilies and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook, while stirring constantly, from 4 to 5 minutes or until zucchini are slightly tender but not cooked through.
- Add tomatoes, corn and garlic. Mix well then pour ¼ cup of water.
- Season with salt and pepper, mix and cook until all vegetables are cooked through and there’s almost not liquid left. Set aside.
- Place a tortilla flat in a plate, then add a couple spoonfuls of the zucchini mixture.
- Add some black beans and top with pico de gallo salsa.
- Finish with crumbled queso fresco and drizzle salsa verde. Serve.
LOVED THIS BLUE CORN TACOS RECIPE? Please, don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below, I’d love to hear from you! Also, remember that you can share it using the buttons below. If you’d like, you can follow this blog on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and YOUTUBE!
I’ve followed your tip and wrapped them in a towel and they were perfect, moist and easy to work with. Thanks!
I’ve tried your recipe on a whim after having it bookmarked in my phone. Insanely good and so easy to make, plus I can make it vegan by cutting the cheese.
I am making your recipe for blue corn tortillas and using them to prepare those tacos. The recipe looks terrific and can’t wait to try it!