Fresas con crema combines the natural sweetness and fruity essence of fresh strawberries with a luscious, creamy mixture. The dessert is not only visually appealing, with the vibrant red strawberries contrasting against the creamy white mixture, but it is also a refreshing and satisfying treat.
Fresas con crema is a popular Mexican dessert made with fresh strawberries and a sweet cream mixture. The cream mixture typically consists of Mexican crema, sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, or sour cream, and sometimes a bit of vanilla extract or sugar for added flavor.
Fresas con crema originated in Mexico. While the exact origins of the dish are not well-documented, it is a traditional and popular dessert in the country, especially during the strawberry season, when the fruit is abundant and at its peak of flavor.
The combination of fresh strawberries with a sweet and tangy cream mixture showcases Mexico’s culinary emphasis on using simple, fresh ingredients to create delicious and satisfying flavors.
Love Mexican strawberry desserts? Check out also our Gelatina de Fresa!
- Strawberries: The star of the dish, fresh strawberries provide natural sweetness and a burst of fruity flavor. Choose ripe, juicy strawberries for the best results.
- Sweetened condensed milk: This thick, sweet milk adds a velvety texture and rich sweetness to the cream mixture.
- Mexican crema or sour cream: Mexican crema is slightly milder and more fluid in consistency, while sour cream adds a tangy flavor that balances the sweetness of the dish. Both can be used interchangeably based on personal preference.
- Heavy cream: Also known as whipping cream, it provides a rich, smooth texture and contributes to the overall creaminess of the dish.
- Vanilla extract and cinnamon (optional): These ingredients can be added for extra flavor if desired. Both add a subtle, aromatic depth to the dish.
- Sugar (optional): Sugar can be used to adjust sweetness to taste.
This Mexican strawberries and cream dessert is a celebration of simplicity and the deliciousness that emerges from the perfect marriage of fresh, quality ingredients.
How To Make Fresas Con Crema
Rinse the strawberries gently under cold water and remove any dirt or debris. Pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel.
Cut the strawberries into slices or bites, how do you prefer.
Place strawberries in a mixing bowl, add sugar and cinnamon, mix well, and let them sit for 10 minutes.
Top Tip: Leaving the strawberries to rest with sugar will make them juicer and sweeter!
In a separate mixing bowl add whipping cream, condensed milk, and vanilla extract.
Mix for 1 minute with an electric mixer or 3 minutes by hand until the cream thickens a little bit. Add Mexican cream and mix to combine.
Add a spoonful of strawberries into 6 cups. Pour a bit of the cream and add more fruit. Keep making layers of strawberries and cream until the cups are full.
Serve immediately or chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
Tips & Notes
- Fresh strawberries: Choose ripe, firm, and bright red strawberries for the best flavor.
- Cream mixture: For a lighter version, you can substitute the Mexican crema or sour cream with Greek yogurt.
- Sweetness: Adjust the sweetness according to your preference. Start by adding a small amount of sweetened condensed milk to the cream sauce and taste, then add more if needed. Alternatively, you can use powdered sugar or a sweetener of your choice.
- Presentation: Layer the strawberries and cream mixture in individual serving cups or glasses for an elegant presentation. You can also garnish the top with a whole strawberry, a sprig of mint, or a sprinkle of crushed nuts.
- Chill before serving: For the best taste and texture, prepare the dessert and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld and the cream to thicken slightly.
- Serving ideas: Mexican strawberries and cream can be enjoyed on its own, or you can serve it alongside other desserts, like cake or corn ice cream, for a more indulgent treat.
- Customize: Feel free to get creative by adding other fruits, such as blueberries, raspberries, or peaches, to the mix.
How To Store
If already assembled, store this creamy dessert in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
You can also store the cream mixture and strawberries separately and then just assemble them to eat within 3 days.
While it may be tempting to freeze this dessert for longer storage, doing so can alter the texture of the cream mixture and the strawberries, making them less enjoyable when thawed. The cream mixture may become grainy, and the strawberries can turn mushy.
Are fresas con crema healthy?
Fresas con crema can be considered a moderately healthy dessert option, depending on the ingredients and proportions used.
To make it healthier, you can reduce the amount of sweetened condensed milk or replace it with a natural sweetener, like honey or maple syrup.
Use a lighter cream, like half-and-half or whole milk, instead of heavy cream, or opt for a low-fat or non-fat version of sour cream or Mexican crema.
Increase the proportion of strawberries in relation to the cream mixture.
What does fresas con crema taste like?
Overall, fresas con crema tastes like a harmonious blend of sweet, fruity, and tangy flavors, with a creamy, smooth texture. The balance of sweetness and tanginess makes it a refreshing and satisfying dessert, while the fresh strawberries add a burst of fruity flavor and a slightly chewy texture.
More Strawberry Mexican Desserts
Fresas Con Crema (strawberries and cream)
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 1 cup Mexican crema (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ cup condensed milk
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Rinse the strawberries gently under cold water and remove any dirt or debris. Pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel.
- Cut the strawberries into slices or bites and place them in a large mixing bowl along with sugar and cinnamon.
- Mix well and let the strawberries sit for 10 minutes.
- In a separate mixing bowl add whipping cream, condensed milk, and vanilla extract.
- Mix for 1 minute with an electric mixer or 3 minutes by hand until the cream thickens a little bit. Add Mexican cream and mix to combine.
- To serve, add first one spoonful of the strawberries mixture, then pour a bit of cream. Keep making layers of strawberries and cream until the cups are full.
- Serve immediately or chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Choose ripe, firm, and bright red strawberries for the best flavor.
- For a lighter version, you can substitute the Mexican crema or sour cream with Greek yogurt.
- Adjust the sweetness according to your preference. Start by adding a small amount of sweetened condensed milk to the cream sauce and taste, then add more if needed. Alternatively, you can use powdered sugar or a sweetener of your choice.
- For the best taste and texture, prepare the dessert and let it chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld and the cream to thicken slightly.
Maricruz Avalos Flores is a Mexican cook and photographer living in Italy where she shares authentic Mexican & Italian recipes that can be easily made at home using easy-to-find ingredients.