Chorizo tostada is a satisfying and delicious meal, perfect to serve at your family dinners. Place all ingredients on the table and let everyone to make their own tostadas, a fun way to enjoy a family dinner any day of the week!
Tostadas de chorizo are a delicious Mexican appetizer or fulfilling meal very simple to make. Delicious and flavored chorizo is cooked and piled on crispy tortillas then finished with various toppings.
This recipe is perfect to serve at parties and gatherings. A fun way to let everyone to create their own version is making a Tostada Bar. Just place some bowls with various toppings and salsas then everyone can get creative!
I love to do this in summer for dinner in the garden, and enjoy other Mexican appetizers and dishes such as tacos dorados, flautas, and chicken sopes. For drinking my choices are pineapple fresca or lemon & chia fresca for kids and strawberry margaritas for grown-ups.
The ingredients needed
- TOSTADA SHELLS: You can find tostada shells at any Latin American grocery store or Amazon. There are various brands to choose from and also various types of tostadas such as unsalted, low carb, baked (low calories), etc.
- CHORIZO: For this recipe I used homemade chorizo which is very easy to make. You can find chorizo at Mexican supermarkets, and the good thing is that there are various types, such as chicken chorizo, beef chorizo and even vegan chorizo!
- BEANS: Refried beans are the best to make this recipe, but if you want to keep low on calories, I suggest to just smash until pureed a cup or two of cooked beans (I use de la olla beans). You can also use a can of refried beans from your favorite brand.
- VEGGIES: Red onions, shredded lettuce and tomato slices where my choice for this chorizo tostada recipe.
- CHEESE (not pictured below): As for many Mexican antojitos, I prefer queso fresco over other types of cheese, but of course, feel free to use any type of cheese you prefer or have available.
- SALSA: I am leaving you below a quick and easy recipe for guacamole salsa, is not the classic guacamole but a more runny type salsa, perfect to drizzle over tostadas, tacos or sopes.
1.- Make the quick guacamole salsa
Place green chilies, onions, cilantro and garlic on a blender or food processor. Blend at high for 1 minute. Add avocado, lime juice and salt, pulse for a couple to times until you desired consistency. Place on a bowl and set aside.
Look here for a more detailed and slightly different recipe for salsa guacamole.
2.- Cook chorizo
Heat the oil on a frying pan over low heat. Add chorizo and cook stirring constantly for 10 minutes or until chorizo gets a little crispy. Place on a bowl and set aside.
3.- Assemble Chorizo Tostada
- Place tostada shells on a serving plate.
- Spread refried beans on each tostada.
- Spoon chorizo on top of beans.
- Top with lettuce, onions and tomatoes.
- Drizzle with guacamole salsa.
- Add crumbled cheese on top and serve immediately.
How to customize this recipe
- Use other types of pureed legumes instead refried beans, such as chickpeas, or lentils.
- Use other types of salads or lettuce, for example red cabbage or this Mexican cabbage salad.
- Pickled jalapeños add a nice tangy and spicy flavor. Put some in a small bowl at the table when you serve this chorizo tostada and let everyone add as they want.
- Other types of salsas such as cilantro lime crema, peanut salsa, or fake guacamole are perfect to drizzle over tostadas.
- Can’t find tostada shells where you live? No problem, use regular corn tortillas, just fry them until crispy, or, for a healthier option, brush them with a little olive oil and bake them at 400°F/200°C until crispy.
- 8 tostada shells
- 1 lb Chorizo
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups refried beans
- 2 cups lettuce (shredded)
- 1 small red onion (sliced)
- 1 large tomato (sliced)
- ½ cup queso fresco (or other kind of cheese)
For quick guacamole salsa
- 1 ripe avocado (the pulp)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (stem and seeds removed)
- ½ small white onion
- bunch or cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- salt (as needed)
- ½ lime (juice)
Make the guacamole salsa
- Place jalapeño pepper, onions, cilantro, garlic, and ¼ cup of water on a blender or food processor. Blend at high for 1 minute.
- Add avocado, lime juice and salt, pulse for a couple to times until you desired consistency. Place on a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over low heat. Add chorizo and cook stirring constantly for 10 minutes or until chorizo gets a little crispy. Place on a bowl and set aside.
- Spread refried beans on each tostada shell and add fried chorizo on top.
- Top with lettuce, onions and tomato slices.
- Drizzle the guacamole salsa and crumbled cheese on top. Serve immediately.