These tostadas de pollo (chicken tostadas) are so crunchy and delicious. They’re made with chicken flavoured with spices and easy grilled on a pan. Enjoy them for an easy and fun dinner any weekday or serve them for Sunday’s brunch!
I made the tostadas at home since we had some homemade corn tortillas that were sitting in the fridge from days so making tostadas was just a way to use them before they went wasted.
What are tostadas de pollo?
Chicken tostadas (tostadas de pollo in spanish) are part of the Mexican street food tradition. A crunchy tortilla that have a thousand variants that depends the state or region where they’re made.
Mexican tostadas are colorful, versatile and delicious because they can be prepared with whatever you have on hand. So do not be discouraged if you do not have all ingredients that you see below; actually, if you have tortillas that will be enough to create a delicious tostada de pollo with whatever you have on your pantry.
The tostadas de pollo that I am proposing to you today are made with grilled chicken, refried beans, lettuce, fresh tomato, cheese and pickled onions which -in my opinion- are the star of this dish.
Ingredients for chicken tostadas
CHICKEN. We have prepared a quick spiced grilled chicken, so easy to make and come out in a matter of minutes. Sometimes I like to use also chicken leftovers or even turkey (Hello Thanksgiving!).
TOSTADAS. If you live in Mexico or the US you probably have seen tostadas at any latinoamerican supermarket sold in packs and ready to pile your favourite ingredients. But, if you don’t have access to those store-bought tostadas, you can make them at home using regular corn tortillas. It’s pretty simple because you just need to fry tortillas until golden and crispy.
BEANS. We just smashed a bunch of cooked beans to make these tostadas but if you want a richer flavour, maybe you could take a look to our refried beans recipe.
TOMATOES. Juicy slices of fresh tomato are my thing, but you know what else is my thing? This delicious pico de gallo. It goes so well on these tostadas, believe me, is like having nachos and tacos in the same bite.
LETTUCE. Iceberg type, shredded. But you can actually use any lettuce you have on hand. Also this Mexican cabbage salad is a nice option.
ONIONS. Pickled onions are so good in this recipe. They add a nice sweet and sour flavor and you can make them with any type of onions you have at home.
QUESO FRESCO. I love mexican queso fresco, but unless I make my own at home, there’s no way I can put my hands on it. So, if I haven’t made any queso fresco recently I just use Feta cheese which is pretty good too.
SALSA. So, there are many options when it comes to sauces for chicken tostadas. But, my first option will be always Salsa Valentina, well, actually not exactly the branded one but the Valentina’s copy-cat I make at home.
Tostadas de pollo recipe
Make the pickled onions: Finely slice a medium onion, add it to a bowl, drizzle with the juice of half lime (or lemon) then season with salt and a pinch of oregano. Let it sit for about 20 minutes while you finish preparing the recipe.
Wash and peel the vegetables. Chop the lettuce and cut the tomatoes into thin slices. Reserve. Put the beans in a bowl and mash with a fork until pureed.
Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, cumin and the juice of half a lime. Let it marinate for 10 minutes.
Heat a grill pan and grill the chicken on both sides. Let cool and then shred it. Set aside covered so it won’t dry out.
Heat plenty of oil in a frying pan. Fry the tortillas on both sides until golden and crisp. Put them on a plate with kitchen paper towels to remove excess oil. You can skip this step if you have store-bought tostadas.
Make the chicken tostadas
Spread each tortilla with mashed beans, then add some shredded chicken.
Tostadas de Pollo (chicken tostadas)
For the chicken
- 1 lb chicken breast (thinly sliced)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ lime
- Salt and pepper
For the tostadas
- 8 corn tortillas (or 8 store-bought tostadas)
- 1 cup cooked beans (200)
- 1 cup queso fresco or Feta (100 crumbled)
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce (200)
- 1 medium tomato
- oil for frying
For the pickled onion
- 1 medium red onion
- ½ lime
- ½ tsp oregano
- Finely slice a medium onion, add it to a bowl, drizzle with the juice of half lime (or lemon) then season with salt and a pinch of oregano. Set aside.
- Wash and peel the vegetables. Chop the lettuce and cut the tomatoes into thin slices. Set aside.
- Put the beans in a bowl and mash with a fork until pureed.
- Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, cumin and the juice of half a lime. Let it marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan and grill the chicken on both sides. Let cool and then shred it. Set aside covered so it won’t dry out.
- Heat plenty of oil in a frying pan. Fry the tortillas on both sides until golden and crisp.
- Put them on a plate with kitchen paper towels to remove excess oil. *You can skip this step if you have store-bought tostadas.
- Spread each tortilla with mashed beans, top with shredded chicken, then some lettuce, tomato and pickled onion on top, sprinkle cheese and serve with the sauce of your choice.