This Mexican cabbage salad is fresh, crispy, and tangy. The perfect salad that goes well with tacos, tostadas, and grilled meats.
About the recipe
Coleslaw is undoubtedly a recipe that is prepared almost all over the world and for sure each country gives it its own particular touch and custom flavors.
In Mexico, it could not be otherwise and there is also a delicious and fresh coleslaw that is usually served to accompany crispy potato tacos and many other Mexican street foods.
This Mexican cabbage salad is refreshing, healthy, and so easy to make. It features tangy flavors and a crispy texture even after hours of being prepared.
Is a type of slaw that goes perfect not only with tacos but also as a side for seafood dishes or grilled meats. I often pair it with my fried mojarra recipe and it is amazing!
The recipe is straightforward to make and features only 6 ingredients. It’s also perfect to make ahead and bring to potlucks, Sunday lunch at grandma’s, and summer cookouts.
Here are a few facts about fresh cabbage:
- Is packed with vitamin C and many nutrients.
- Green and red cabbage are excellent sources of antioxidants, however, red cabbage contains about 30% more vitamin C.
- Is an Excellent Source of Vitamin K, which is good for your blood.
- It helps to lower blood pressure and keep your heart healthy.
- Lower your cholesterol levels.
- Improves your digestion thanks to a large amount of soluble fiber it contains.
And because Mexican cabbage slaw doesn’t contain mayonnaise or cream, is definitely a healthier alternative than most slaw salads out there.
TIP: How To Cut Cabbage
Discard the less fresh leaves of the cabbage and the ones that look ruined and are easy to pull off. Wash it thoroughly with water and pat dry it with paper or a clean kitchen towel.
The classic method:
There are a few methods of cutting cabbage to use in fresh slaw salads. One of them is to simply use a very sharp knife and cut the piece first in half or quarters and then cut it into very thin strips.
Another way is to use a cheese grater:
Stand the grater on a table or in a bowl, whichever is easier. Cut the cabbage into quarters and grate it using the part with the largest holes. This method also works with vegetable cutters, either manual or electric.
With a food processor:
And finally, you can also use a food processor but you must be careful as you don’t want to end with a cabbage paste.
So, cut cabbage into chunks and place them into a food processor, activate the device for 1 second and turn it off, check how it has been cut and, if necessary, repeat the operation.
After you decided which method to use, is time to make this healthy Mexican cabbage slaw.
How To Make Mexican Cabbage Salad
Note: The order of the ingredients doesn’t matter, so you can cut them, chop them, and add them to the bowl as you wish.
Cut onions into thin slices and place them in a bowl large enough to mix well with the cabbage and the other ingredients.
Wash the carrot thoroughly and peel it with a potato peeler. Then, using a cheese grater, grate it into thin strips right into the bowl.
Cut the cabbage with your favorite method (read above) and add it to the bowl with the other ingredients.
Squeeze the lime juice, add dried oregano, and season with salt to taste.
Note: If you want, add a dash of vinegar as well, but not too much since you should taste the flavor of the lemon more than the vinegar.
Mix very well to allow the lemon to soak all the vegetables, and adjust with salt if needed.
Allow your Mexican Cabbage Salad to marinate for 15-20 minutes, then serve with your favorite dishes or store for later as suggested below.
Even though the main ingredients for this Mexican slaw are only cabbage, white onions, and carrots, there are a few variations popular all over the country:
- Red Onions: This type of onion brings some sweetness to the slaw and also a wonderful bright color.
- Vinegar. The traditional recipe is made by macerating the vegetables just with lime juice, however, vinegar is one of the most popular variations as it adds a nice sour flavor and it helps the salad to last longer.
- Cilantro. Many recipes also include chopped cilantro for a fresh kick.
- Tomatoes. Sliced tomatoes help to balance the sourness and tartness of the other ingredients, definitely a nice addition.
- Spicy. Add chiles en vinagre to stay on the sour flavor profile or sliced jalapeños and serrano chilies for a good punch of spiciness.
How To Serve
- Tacos. Stuff those Pulled chicken tacos, or add on top of crispy pescadillas or chicken flautas.
- Grilled meats. I love adding a side of this salad to grilled chicken or beef fajitas.
- Tostadas. Our recipe for BBQ chicken tostadas features this salad. Give it a try!
- Sandwiches. Stuffed in torta cubana instead of lettuce.
- As side. For grilled meats like beef fajitas or as a refreshing and light side for rich mains like roasted pork or chicken.
How To Store
One of the best things about this salad is that is perfect to make ahead and allow the flavors to meld together. Sure it loses some crunchiness but there’s something about macerated cabbage that is just beyond delicious.
Here’s how you should store it if you making a large batch of this salad:
- Place leftovers in a container, since glass preserves best the flavors, we highly recommend you store it in a jar or a glass container.
- Close tightly the lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or for up to 5 days if you used some vinegar.
Mexican Cabbage Salad
- ½ medium cabbage (shredded)
- 2 small carrots (grated)
- 1 small red onion ( finely sliced)
- 2 limes (or 1 lemon)
- 1 tsp oregano (or more, to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- In a large bowl place cabbage, carrots and onions.
- Add lime juice, oregano, and salt.
- Toss for one or two minutes until the salad is coated with lime juice.
- Adjust salt to taste and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS MEXICAN CABBAGE SALAD? Please, don’t forget to rate it and leave us a comment below, we’d love to hear from you! Also, remember that you can follow us on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, and YOUTUBE.