This Italian potato salad with red onions is mayo-free and bursting with fresh and amazing flavors from lemon, garlic and parsley.
This salad is another vegan and dairy free option that is perfect to pair with your meat or fish dishes. It is quick to set up and easy to transport, making it perfect for gatherings and parties!
What is Italian potato salad?
Insalata di patate (potato salad) is a very popular side dish in Italy, it is prepared mainly during spring and summer since its ingredients, such as lemon and parsley, gives it a very fresh touch.
This Italian Potato Salad goes great with grilled meat and fish but it can also be served as an antipasto (starter). The star flavor is the lemon, which is also added not only the juice but also the zest, which brings this salad right to the next level.
Which Potatoes To Choose
The best type of potato for a good potato salad is one that withstands cooking well without falling apart, like tiny red potatoes which also do not need to be peeled because their skin is very thin. Pontiac, Yukon Gold and Kennebec are also good options or you can choose any kind of waxy potatoes that you easily find where you live.
How To Boil Potatoes For Salad
Although this recipe is very simple to prepare, it is important to pay attention to one main step and that is, boiling the potatoes in a correct way so that they maintain their shape and do not fall apart.
My recommendation is to cut them into pieces of the same size, so that they can cook evenly. I’ve cut mine into 1 inch (2,5cm) chunks.
Place potatoes in a large pot. Add cold water to cover at least 2 inches, then place the pot over high heat on the stove. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat.
Let simmer. After 10 minutes, check the potatoes by pinching with a fork, if it goes in and out easily, the potatoes are ready. If, on the other hand, you can feel some resistance in the center, keep cooking, checking every 5 minutes until they are fully done.
Place them in a colander and quickly rinse them under running cold water to stop cooking. Set aside.
Prepare the salad
Place sliced onion in a large bowl. Add the vinegar, olive oil, a little salt and the lemon juice. Mix well and let it marinate for 10 minutes.
In a mortar place the garlic, a pinch of salt and some parsley leaves. Add a little olive oil and mash everything until you get a paste.
Add the potatoes to the bowl with marinated onions, add the lemon zest, garlic paste and plenty of finely chopped parsley, mix perfectly and adjust salt to your taste.
Allow the the salad to rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving. If it’s too hot, cover the bowl and store in the refrigerator.
- This Italian potato salad is perfect to take on a picnic or to a gathering as it keeps perfectly in the refrigerator and is served cold.
- If you don’t mind the taste and texture of the minced garlic, you can add it that way to the salad instead of crushing it in a mortar.
- Choose a good extra virgin olive oil, this makes this simple dish something really special.
How To Serve
I love to serve this salad with grilled proteins like beef, chicken or fish, but it can also be nicely paired with this baked fusilli timballo or, to make it a vegetarian meal, this baked fennel casserole is also amazing.
Watch How To Make It
Italian potato salad with red onions
- 1 ½ lb (680g) red potatoes cut into chunks
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 bunch or parsley chopped finely
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- Place potatoes in a large pot. Add cold water to cover then bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Low the heat and simmer until potatoes are done (about 10 to 15 minutes).
- Place potatoes in a colander and quickly rinse them under running cold water to stop cooking. Set aside.
- Place onions in a large bowl. Add vinegar, olive oil, a little salt and the juice of the lemon. Mix well and allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
- In a mortar place the garlic, half a pinch of salt and some parsley leaves. Add a little olive oil and mash everything until you get a paste.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl with marinated onions, add lemon zest, garlic paste and plenty of finely chopped parsley, mix perfectly and adjust salt to your taste.
- Allow the the salad to rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving. If it’s too hot, cover the bowl and store in the refrigerator.
DID YOU ENJOYED THIS ITALIAN POTATO SALAD? Please, don’t forget to rate it and leave us a comment below, we’d love to hear from you! Also, remember that you share it using the buttons below. If you’d like, you can follow us on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and YOUTUBE!