Cilantro lime cream sauce will become one of your favorite salsas to eat with tacos, nachos, or burritos. This recipe is made in just 5 minutes with a bunch of fresh ingredients and can be adapted to your preferences.
Bored with sour cream and Greek yogurt? Bring some spiciness and flavor into your food with this delicious and easy salsa. Inspired by the traditional Mexican crema, this version is tangy, refreshing, and creamy.
Serve it with almost anything, and it will taste just right. It is easy to make and easier to store, and the flavor is not too spicy! It really is the perfect creamy salsa. I love serving it with Mexican chicken over rice.
The Ingredients needed
The best thing about cilantro lime cream sauce is that it is very straightforward to make. The ingredients are pretty simple and available in many countries:
- Mexican Crema: Set the base for this delicious sauce with Mexican crema. However, you can also substitute it with sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise adds creaminess and a sweet touch to this salsa but you can easily leave it out if you want a healthier version.
- Serrano peppers: Serrano adds spice and heat. However, if you are looking for a mild-spicy pepper, you can remove the seeds and membranes from chilies.
- Cilantro: Cilantro is the hero of this sauce. It brings in freshness and a subtle green hue. If you can’t find cilantro where you live, replace it with coriander seeds and add a few leaves of parsley for color.
- Lime: Lime juice is ideal for the citrusy and tangy flavor. Replace with lemons if you can’t find limes where you live.
- Garlic: Garlic brings in a deep savory flavor to this cilantro lime cream sauce. You can also use garlic powder instead of a fresh clove.
- Milk: Use milk to adjust the consistency of the sauce. The more you add, the runny the salsa will be.
- Seasonings: Season it with salt and pepper as per your taste.
Easy Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce Recipe
How To Use It
This delicious, refreshing crema tastes divine, and you can’t stop yourself from eating it with a spoon. However, it is not the only way to enjoy this sauce. You can serve it with:
- Tacos: Drizzle this sauce on top of those potato tacos and enjoy the freshness and tanginess it brings.
- Salad: This sauce serves as a perfect dressing on your salad. For example, this macaroni jalapeno pasta salad or your favorite green salad.
- Burritos: Use this sauce as a spread inside a chicken & rice burrito. Its creaminess is all you want.
- Dip: Serve it alongside with totopos corn chips or roasted vegetables.
- Soup: Spoon the sauce on soups. Its creamy texture and refreshing flavor will complement every soup! We love it with this caldo de queso!
Make it vegan or dairy-free
If you are looking for a vegan or dairy-free version, here is what you have to do:
- Use plant-based sour cream instead of Mexican crema, coconut cream works fine.
- Use half of avocado instead of mayonnaise, or a vegan-mayo brand you prefer.
- Use plant-based milk like coconut milk instead of dairy milk. It adds creaminess to the sauce.
How to store cilantro lime crema?
You can transfer this creamy salsa into a jar and store it in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to five days. However, the crema gets thick in the refrigerator, so just give it a quick mix before serving it or adjust the consistency with a splash of milk.
Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce
- 1 small handful of cilantro (about ⅓ cup chopped)
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper (cut into chunks)
- ⅔ cup Mexican crema (or greek yogurt, or sour cream)
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove (peeled)
- 2 lime (juice)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup milk (optional, read notes)
- Place garlic, serrano/jalapeno pepper, cilantro, and lime juice into a food processor.
- Blend until ingredients are finely chopped.
- Add cream, mayonnaise, and milk. Add a pinch of salt and pepper then pulse to combine everything.
- Transfer to a container and adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS CILANTRO CREMA RECIPE? Please, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below, we’d love to hear from you! Also, remember that you share it using the buttons below. If you’d like, you can follow us too on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and YOUTUBE!