Mango pico de gallo is a delicious, vibrant, fresh, and zesty Mexican salsa rich in flavors and textures. It is very easy to make and uses fresh ingredients like mangos, red onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and lime juice.
What is pico de gallo?
Pica de Gallo is a Mexican salsa delicacy that means “roasters peak.” It gets the name because people originally used to eat it with fingers using the forefinger and the thumb. However, the dish has gained popularity in Mexican cuisine and is quite famous because it has less liquid than other salsa dishes.
Traditionally, you can prepare Pico de Gallo with several tropical fruits and vegetables. For instance, ingredients like papaya, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, and mangoes are among the few variations of this salsa. However, among these, the mango pico de gallo is quite popular.
- Mango: Because this salsa is all about mangoes, you need fresh, ripe, and premium quality mangos. Mangos are delicious and are known for their many benefits. They have a natural sweetness that sets the tone for this salsa. This tropical fruit is the king of all fruits and is undoubtedly delicious.
- Tomatoes: Juicy, red tomatoes are the next best thing in this recipe apart from the mangoes. You can choose either kumato tomatoes or Roma tomatoes. However, make sure they are ripe, juicy, fresh, and not too soft. They should be firm to touch.
- Red onion: Red onions add a crunch to the salsa. You can choose white or yellow onions as well, but I love red onions. That’s because they have a mild flavor and are slightly sweet. In short, the flavor goes so well with the mangoes and tomatoes.
- Green chilies: Green chilies bring in heat and help in balancing the sweetness in the salsa. You can also use jalapeno peppers instead of green chilies. Whatever you can get easily!
- Cilantro: Cilantro is a herb that adds freshness to the salsa. Furthermore, it has a delicate and slightly complex flavor that goes well with the rest. You can also use parsley instead of cilantro, but my vote is with cilantro.
- Lime: Juice from fresh lime adds acidity to the salsa. This ingredient is crucial as it helps to cut through the sweetness. It plays an important role in balancing the flavors.
- Salt: A dash of salt is compulsory for every dish. You can use table salt, pink Himalayan salt, or sea salt. Whatever works best for you.
What to serve with mango pico de gallo?
- Tacos: You can’t have tacos without salsa. You can top mango pico de Gallo on fajita tacos, crispy potato tacos, or shrimp tacos. The sweet and tangy flavor of this salsa goes so well with different tacos.
- Rice: Serve it alongside Mexican white rice, chicken over rice, or any other rice dish. It brings in so much flavor and can’t brighten up a boring dish.
- Chicken burrito: Use it to fill chicken burrito and enjoy a variety of textures and flavors.
- Chips: Whether it’s nacho chips or tortilla chips, you can serve these with mango pico de gallo, it makes the perfect appetizer.
You can make this salsa one day ahead. Just chop/dice all ingredients and leave them in separated containers stored in the fridge. Then the day you intend to eat it, just combine and season everything.
DO YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? Please, rate it and let us know on the comments below! we’d love to hear from you. And don’t forget to share it using the bottoms bellow & follow us on: PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and YOUTUBE
Mango Pico de Gallo
- 1 cup fresh mango (diced)
- 1 ½ cup tomatoes (diced)
- ½ cup red onion (diced)
- 2-3 green chillies (chopped)
- cilantro (a small bunch)
- 1 lime (juice)
- salt (to taste)
- Place mango, tomatoes, onions, chilies and cilanto on a medium bowl.
- Drizzle with lime juice, add half of lime at first, taste, then add the other half if you want.
- Season with salt and mix well.
- Let the salsa sit for about 10 minutes before serving.