This entry is also available in: Español
My chicken and rice burrito recipe is full of flavour, juicy and very easy to make. At home we like to make burritos in advance and have them ready for a quick weekend breakfast.
Chicken burritos are also a quick and easy dinner and believe me, everyone loves those warm and juicy wraps filled with a flavoured blend of chicken, spices and vegetables.
One of the first Mexican dishes I was able to make here in Italy was chicken burritos. There’s a small store near my home where they sell ingredients from all over the world. Japanese noodles, Chinese wraps, Indian spices, Brazilian liquors and much more.
Among those, they sell different treats and ingredients from my country, Mexico. Things like spicy sauces, flour tortillas, dry chilies, corn chips and corn flour.
Going to that shop store always made me feel like I was a child in a lunar park. Happy. I will leave the shop with bags full of my favorite treats like mazapán, salsa Valentina, corn chips, candies and of course: Flour tortillas.
Making chicken and rice burritos is as easy as 1, 2, 3
- Use your leftover roasted chicken. Shred it even the day before.
- Cook the burrito filling ingredients in a skillet, add the chicken and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Heat your flour tortillas and scoop the chicken mixture into each burrito. Roll and enjoy!
My husband loves chicken burritos. I like to make them with shredded chicken, onions and red/yellow bell peppers. Adding a little bit of ground cumin makes the dish taste really good but don’t add too much since that’s is a common mistake most people does when they cook Mexican food (blame store bought Tex-mex food).
I like to make those burritos when we have people over for dinner. Specially if they’re our italian friends because this version have also a Mediterranean flavour thanks to the bell peppers and tomatoes. They will love it and always ask for the recipe. I also like how easy is to make those burritos in advance, put them in the fridge and then just heat them up when needed it. It saves a lot of time!
To this day I don’t even buy the tortillas in the store. I like to make my own since I discovered how easy and fast is to make them at home, specially if you use your sourdough discard. And for the rice, there’s nothing better than an authentic red mexican rice.
What Tortillas Work Best for Burritos?
Flour Tortillas are the best because they’re softer and moister. They won’t break or crack so easily allowing them to be rolled in a more easy way.
Also, they’re more easy to heat, just a few seconds on a hot skillet or comal and they will be ready to roll.
Just, ensure it is warmed before wrapping so it remains soft and pliable enough to fold. Making so will avoid the liquid from leaking out through crackers.
Check out my recipe for flour tortillas using sourdough discard.
How to Fold a Burrito in 1, 2, 3
Warm up the tortillas and wrap them in a damp kitchen towel to keep them moist while working. Read this article about how to heat tortillas at home.
- Place a scoop of filling slightly off center of the tortilla, lengthwise.
- Fold one of the sides in, then repeat with the top and bottom.
- Next, roll up the other side in to wrap everything in and you are done.
Enjoy your chicken and rice burritos pairing with:
- 12 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shreded chicken breast
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small green pepper
- 150 gr white onions
- 300 gr fresh tomatoes
- 1 green jalapeno chili (or any kind of green chili)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- olive oil
- 3 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups mexican red rice
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and finely slice the onions and jalapeno. Set separately.
- Cut the bell peppers into strips and set aside.
- Set a skillet over medium heat, add 1 tbs olive oil and add the bell peppers stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and jalapeno, a tsp of oil and mix together with the peppers until combined. Add the tomatoes and chicken, mix and let the tomatoes juice release. *If the tomatoes are not too juicy you can add a little bit of chicken stock or hot water.
- Season the chicken mixture with garlic powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Let all cook for 8-10 minutes or until the bell peppers are tender and until the liquids cooks off.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture stand 10-15 minutes or until mixture comes to warm room temperature.
- Pop a tortilla onto a skillet for 1 minute to soften, then place onto a board.
- Put a handful of shredded lettuce and 2 tablespoons of red mexican rice, then spoon some of the chicken mixture on top.
- Wrap up onto a burrito-style and set in a plate. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.