Tacos Gobernador (Governor tacos) is a delicious taco dish made with shrimp, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and cream. Melted cheese complement these scrumptious tacos that can be the perfect treat for every occasion.
What is Tacos Gobernador?
Legend has it that a Chef at Los Arcos restaurant made these tacos to impress the Governor of Sinaloa. And the good part is that the Governor loved these so much that they not only got the name but also became very popular.
Today, tacos gobernador are among the most special dishes in northern Mexico. You might have tried several taco recipes before, but this authentic and modern Mexican taco recipe is unlike anything else.
How are they made?
The recipe is pretty simple, you’re going to need just a few ingredients such as shrimp, tomatoes, onions, and poblano peppers. Don’t worry if you can’t find Mexican peppers, below I am giving you some options to replace them.
The creamy component is added by using oil, butter, and of course, cream. Then you just need some seasoning like garlic, salt, and pepper.
And then, there’s the cheese. You’re going to need some type of cheese that can melt nicely. So, if you can find Oaxaca or Asadero cheese, go for it. Otherwise, use any string cheese you have on hand.
Can you Replace Poblano Peppers?
The poblano pepper is the most commonly used for this dish. It has a dark green color and a unique flavor.
Their spice level is moderate, so they are a perfect choice for Tacos Gobernador. However, you can substitute poblano peppers with other types, depending upon the spice level you intend to achieve.
The thing about these peppers is that they are not very easy to find outside the country. So, here are some options:
What tortillas to use?
You can use any type of tortillas to make Tacos Gobernador. You can also buy store-bought tortillas or make your own.
The step by step recipe
Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add onions, low heat, and stir for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent.
Reduce heat to low and add shrimps, garlic, and season with salt and pepper. If you want the mixture to be spicy, add a few drops of spicy salsa or a hot chili pepper (finely chopped). Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes, mix well and cover. Allow to cook until tomatoes are soft and almost all juices are gone. Adjust season to taste and turn off the heat.
Remove the skillet from the stove and add the cream, make sure it is at room temperature to prevent curdling. Mix well and set aside.
Make the tacos
Preheat a non-stick pan or skillet on medium heat, coat with some butter or oil and place a tortilla. Add cheese and allow it to slightly melt.
Add a generous portion of the shrimp mixture and fold the tortilla into a half-moon.
Cook for a few seconds then using a spatula, flip the taco and cook the other side for just a few more seconds.
Place your tacos gobernador in a serving platter and serve with your favorite salsa and a squeeze of lime.
- MOLCAJETE SALSA – Definitely my favorite salsa for this tacos. If you don’t have a molcajete no worries, you can still make it with a blender!
- GUACAMOLE SALSA – This is by far the best salsa, you can make this traditional guacamole salsa or go with a fake guacamole. Either way you’ll love it!
- MEXICAN CHILI OIL – For the bravest, this is a very spicy salsa made with chile de árbol, sesame seeds, and oil.
- GUAJILLO SAUCE – This sauce is on the low-level heat, and the guajillo pepper flavor goes perfect with the shrimp mixture.
Can you make the mixture ahead of time?
The reason I love Tacos Gobernador is that they are super convenient to make. They are the perfect lunch, dinner, or snack. And the best part is, you can make the mixture ahead of time and store it for later use.
Let’s say, if you are hosting a game day friend’s get-together, you can prepare the shrimp mixture a day before, place it in an air-tight container, and store it in the refrigerator.
And when the day comes, heat the mixture, add cream, assemble your tacos gobernador, and that’s it! Your work is cut in half.
Furthermore, you can also assemble the mixture, add cream on top and store it in the refrigerator a few hours before the serving time.
When you have to serve, simply mix and heat it in the microwave for about 5 minutes until they are creamy and ready to fill your tortillas. It is an ideal way to make these delicious tacos in large batches.
How To Store
If you have creamy shrimps leftovers, you can store them by placing everything in an air-tight container and storing it in the refrigerator, it can last for about three days.
Furthermore, you can also freeze the mixture for up to 3 months in a plastic bag. Again, don’t add cream to the mixture when you intend on freezing it. And also, make sure you’re using fresh shrimps instead of frozen.
Lastly, before storing the mixture, make sure it reaches room temperature.
Tacos Gobernador (cheesy shrimp tacos)
- 1 lb uncooked shrimps (cleaned and cuto into bites)
- 1 small poblano pepper or green bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1 small white onion (sliced)
- 2 small tomatoes (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp Mexican crema (or sour cream)
- salt and pepper
- 12 medium corn tortillas
- 2 ¼ cups Oaxaca or mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- olive oil or butter
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add onions, reduce heat to low, and stir for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Ad shrimps, garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, mix well and cover. Allow to cook until tomatoes are soft and almost all juices are gone (about 5 minutes).
- Adjust salt to taste and turn off the heat.
- Remove the skillet from the stove and add the cream. Mix well and set aside.
Make the tacos
- Preheat a non-stick pan or skillet on medium heat, coat with some butter or oil and place a tortilla. Add cheese and allow to melt on the borders.
- Add a generous portion of the shrimp mixture and fold the tortilla into an half-moon.
- Cook for a few seconds then using a spatula, flip the taco and cook the other side for just a few more seconds.
- Place tacos on a serving platter and repeat until all shrimp mixture is gone.
- Serve with your favorite salsa and a squeeze of lime.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS TACOS GOBERNADOR RECIPE? Please, don’t forget to rate it and leave us a comment below, we’d love to hear from you! Also, remember that you can share it using the buttons below and follow us too on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and YOUTUBE!