Enjoy this Licuado de Fresa, a sweet, creamy, and fruity Mexican smoothie made of fresh strawberries with a hearty touch of cinnamon. Perfect to start your day or to enjoy with classic Mexican breakfasts like chilaquiles.
Licuado de fresa is a smooth drink made by blending fresh or frozen strawberries with milk, sugar, and cinnamon powder. The name of this recipe is a Spanish phrase that translates to “strawberry smoothie” in English.
Some recipes also include ice, vanilla extract, or other fruits, such as banana or pineapple. The resulting drink is smooth, creamy, and refreshing!
In Mexico, licuados are often offered as a popular street food and can be found in many juice bars, cafeterias, and restaurants. They’re the perfect accompaniment for tortas de jamón (ham sandwich).
They are typically served in tall glasses or plastic cups with a straw. Some vendors may also serve them in plastic bags with a straw, which is a popular way to enjoy them on the go.
Love Mexican smoothies? Try also my Licuado de Plátano recipe!
- Strawberries (fresas): Fresh or frozen strawberries are the main ingredient in the smoothie and provide a fruity flavor and vibrant pink color.
- Milk: Milk add creaminess and a subtle sweetness to the smoothie. Whole milk, skim milk, almond milk, or any other type of milk can be used. Some recipes use evaporated milk for a creamier texture.
- Yogurt: Yogurt adds creaminess and tanginess to the smoothie. Use plain or strawberry yogurt for a more flavorful smoothie.
- Sweetener: Sugar or another sweetener, such as honey or agave syrup, is added to enhance the sweetness of the smoothie. The amount of sugar can be adjusted to taste.
- Flavorings: I used ground cinnamon (canela), which adds a nice hearty touch and many Mexican smoothies include it.
- Ice (optional): Some recipes call for ice to be added to the smoothie to make it thicker and colder.
And now let’s see how to make this super easy Mexican strawberry smoothie!
How To Make A Licuado De Fresa
Wash the strawberries thoroughly under cold water, remove the stem, and cut them into small pieces.
Top Tip: Slice a few fresh strawberries and use them as a garnish on top of the licuado. This adds a beautiful touch and extra flavor.
Add strawberries and yogurt, sugar, and cinnamon powder to a blender. Add also the milk.
Blend everything on high speed until nicely creamy and smooth. You can also add crushed ice to make the drink colder.
Taste the smoothie and adjust the sweetness to your liking by adding more sugar.
Pour it into tall glasses and sprinkle with more cinnamon powder on top. Enjoy.
Tips & Notes
- Use cold ingredients: To make a refreshing smoothie, use cold milk and chill the strawberries & banana before blending.
- Use ripe and sweet strawberries: Choose fresh or frozen strawberries that are ripe, sweet, and juicy to get the best flavor and color.
- Freeze the strawberries: I like to freeze the strawberries for about 30 minutes before blending. This helps to make the licuado thicker and colder.
- Blend well: Blend the ingredients well until smooth and creamy. If the smoothie is too thick, add a little more milk or water to thin it out.
- Use a powerful blender: A powerful blender can blend the ingredients more efficiently and make a smooth and creamy smoothie. If you don’t have a powerful blender, you can blend the strawberries and milk first, then add the remaining ingredientes and blend again.
- Make it vegan & dairy-free: For a vegan version, use non-dairy milk and yogurt options such as almond milk, coconut milk, or oat milk.
- Optional ingredients: Other ingredients that can be added to the recipe include vainilla extract, banana, or chocolate powder.
How To Serve
In Mexico, licuado de fresa is often served as a breakfast and may be accompanied by other traditional Mexican dishes, such as chilaquiles, tortas, or pan dulce.
Here are a few recipes you might want to try:
- Torta cubana – A Mexican sandwich made with ham, pork loin, hotdog sausages, chorizo, cheese, and various vegetables
- Chilaquiles verdes – Crispy tortillas smothered in salsa verde.
- Cortadillos Pan Dulce – Soft breakfast cake.
Are licuados healthy?
Licuados can be a healthy beverage choice when made with fresh and nutritious ingredients. Strawberries are a great source of vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants, while milk and yogurt provide protein, calcium, and other essential nutrients.
To make a healthier licuado you can use low-fat or non-dairy milk, and limit the amount of sugar or sweetener used.
How does it taste?
Licuado de fresa tastes sweet and fruity, with a creamy and smooth texture. The dominant flavor comes from fresh or frozen strawberries, which are sweet and slightly tangy. The milk and yogurt provide a creamy base that balances out the sweetness of the strawberries, while the sugar or sweetener adds an extra touch of sweetness. Some may also have a hint of cinnamon, vanilla, or other flavors, depending on the recipe used.
What means licuado de fresa in English?
Licuado de fresa is a Spanish phrase that translates to “strawberry smoothie” in English. “Licuado” means “smoothie” or “blended” in Spanish, and “fresa” means “strawberry.” So, licuado de fresa is a blended beverage made with fresh or frozen strawberries, milk, sugar, or another sweetener. It’s a popular drink in many Latin American countries, especially in Mexico.
More Strawberries Recipes
If you enjoyed this smoothie recipe, please take a minute and leave your thoughts below in the comments. Also, don’t forget to share the recipe and follow this blog on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube.
Licuado de Fresa
- 2 cups fresh strawberries (washed and cut into chunks)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (or use your preferred sweetener )
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder (plus more for garnish)
- 1 cup crushed ice (optional)
- Add strawberries to a blender along with the yogurt, milk, cinnamon powder, and sugar.
- Add crushed ice if you want and blend everything until nicely creamy and smooth.
- Taste the smoothie and adjust sweetness to your liking by adding more sugar if you want.
- Pour it into tall glasses and sprinkle with more cinnamon powder on top. Enjoy.
- Use cold milk and chill the strawberries & banana before blending. I like to freeze the strawberries for about 30 minutes before blending. This helps to make the licuado thicker and colder.
- Blend the ingredients well until smooth and creamy. If the smoothie is too thick, add a little more milk or water to thin it out.
- For a vegan version, use non-dairy milk such as almond milk, coconut milk, or oat milk.
- Other ingredients that can be added to the recipe include vainilla extract, yogurt, or chocolate powder.
Maricruz Avalos Flores is a Mexican cook and photographer living in Italy where she shares authentic Mexican & Italian recipes that can be easily made at home using easy-to-find ingredients.