This agua de fresa con leche is delicious and easy to make and it’s perfect for a hot day or as a sweet treat. Its creamy and fruity taste makes it a popular choice among both children and adults, and it’s a great way to enjoy the flavor of fresh strawberries in a refreshing and hydrating way.
Agua de fresa is a refreshing beverage made by blending fresh strawberries with water, sugar, and sometimes milk. It is often served over ice and garnished with fresh strawberries.
When milk is added to the drink it becomes Agua de fresa con leche, or strawberry milk water, and is a variation of agua de fresa that includes milk to create a creamy and richer drink.
Aguas frescas are a popular type of refreshing beverage that originated in Mexico. The name “aguas frescas” translates to “fresh waters” in English, and they are made by blending fresh fruits, vegetables, or grains with water and sweeteners to create a light and refreshing drink.
Despite including sugar, aguas frescas drinks are still a healthier choice than canned fruit juices or sodas and are perfect to serve to your family to accompany lunch or dinner meals, or just as a refreshing treat in the warm season.
- Strawberries: You can make this recipe using fresh or frozen strawberries. This fruit adds a naturally sweet taste too, so you won’t need to add too much sugar.
- Milk: To give creaminess to the drink, I evaporated milk, but whole milk is also a good option.
- Sweetener: I used condensed milk in this recipe to give more creaminess, but any sweetener works just fine such as sugar, honey, or even stevia.
- Water: Add as much as the recipe asks for it, aguas frescas are light, if you add less water you’ll end with some sort of fruit juice instead.
How To Make Agua de Fresa con Leche
Wash the strawberries under running cold water. Remove the stems and slice about 1/2 cup to use as garnish.
Place the whole strawberries in a blender along with 2 cups of water. Blend for 1-2 minutes at high speed or until the strawberries are perfectly pureed.
Strain the strawberry mixture into a large pitcher or add it as it is.
Top Tip: Straining the strawberry mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any seeds or pulp will result in a smooth and clear agua fresca.
Add 1 1/2 cups of evaporated milk (which is about 1-12oz can) along with 1/3 cup of condensed milk.
Pour in the remaining water and mix well.
Taste and add more condensed milk or sugar if you want until the strawberry fresca has your desired sweetness.
Add ice and some slices of strawberries to glasses and serve your creamy strawberries agua fresca immediately.
Or, you can place the pitcher in the fridge and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Regular agua fresca de fresas
If you want to make it without milk, just omit the evaporated and condensed milk and replace it with 1 1/2 of water and use sugar as a sweetener. I also recommend adding the juice of 1 lime to give a tangy kick.
- Choose strawberries that are bright red, fragrant, and plump. The sweetness and flavor of the strawberries will affect the taste of the drink, so it’s important to use high-quality ingredients.
- You can also make this agua fresca using frozen strawberries, don’t need to thaw them, just blend them a little bit longer with the water.
- Rinse the strawberries under cold water to remove any dirt or debris. You can also soak them in water for a few minutes and then pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Don’t add ice to the pitcher because it will dilute the drink and make it lose a bit of its flavor. Instead, add the ice to each glass individually.
- Before serving, mix in some fresh sliced strawberries. This will add a pop of color and enhance the flavor of the drink.
How To Pair
Strawberry agua fresca is a refreshing and sweet beverage that pairs well with a variety of foods, especially those that are spicy or salty. Here are some suggestions for what to serve with:
- Tacos: It is a perfect accompaniment to tacos de adobada or birria tacos. The sweetness and creaminess of the beverage helps to balance the spiciness of the tacos.
- Quesadillas: The mild flavors of ground turkey quesadillas or Mulitas pair well with the fruity taste of this fresca recipe.
- Enchiladas: Try pairing with these creamy enchiladas suizas verdes.
- Chips and guacamole: The creamy and salty flavors of guacamole and the crisp texture of totopos chips are a great match for the sweet and fruity taste of this drink.
This is a versatile beverage that pairs well with many different types of food, especially those with bold flavors. Its sweet and refreshing taste can help to balance out spiciness or richness in dishes, making it a great addition to any meal.
How To Store
Agua de fresa can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days, but it is best to consume it within 24-48 hours to ensure optimal freshness and flavor.
You can store it in a pitcher or a bottle with a lid. Make sure that the container is clean and dry before pouring the beverage into it to avoid contamination.
Before serving, you can give it a quick stir to mix any settled fruit particles back into the liquid. If you notice any signs of spoilage, such as a sour smell or unusual color, discard the beverage immediately.
Is Agua de Fresa Healthy?
Agua de fresa can be a healthy beverage choice, as it is typically made from fresh strawberries and water with little to no added sugars. Strawberries are a good source of vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants, which can help support overall health and wellness.
However, the healthiness of agua fresca de fresas depends on the recipe and how it is prepared. If large amounts of sugar or other sweeteners are added or if include condensed milk or other high-fat dairy products, which can make it a less healthy choice.
How Does It Taste?
Agua fresca de fresas has a sweet and refreshing taste with a distinct strawberry flavor. It’s similar to a fruit-infused water but with a stronger fruit taste.
On the other hand, agua de fresas con leche has a creamy and sweet taste that is similar to a strawberry smoothie but lighter in texture. The addition of milk gives it a smooth and velvety texture, while the sweetness of the strawberries adds a fruity flavor to the drink.
More Agua Fresca Recipes
If you liked this Strawberry agua fresca recipe. Please, don’t forget to rate it and leave us a comment below, we’d love to hear from you! Also, remember to share and follow this blog on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, and YOUTUBE.
Agua de Fresa
- 1 lb fresh strawberries (hulled)
- 1-12 oz can evaporated milk
- ½ cup condensed milk (read notes)
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup fresh strawberries (sliced)
- ice cubes
- Place the strawberries in a blender along with 2 cups of water. Blend for 1-2 minutes on high speed or until the strawberries are perfectly pureed.
- Strain the strawberry mixture into a large pitcher or add it as it is.
- Add the evaporated milk and the condensed milk.
- Pour in the remaining water and mix well.
- Taste and add more condensed milk or sugar if you want until the drink has your desired sweetness.
- Add ice and some slices of strawberries to glasses and serve.
Make it without milk
- Blend strawberries with 2 cups of sugar and the juice of half a lime.
- Strain the mixture in a pitcher, add 6-7 cups of water, and adjust with more sugar if desired.
- Don’t add ice to the pitcher because it will dilute Agua de fresa and make it lose a bit of its flavor.
- Replace condensed milk with Stevia, honey, or monk fruit for a healthier version.
- Try using the ripest strawberries you can find as they are sweeter and you won’t need so much sugar.
- You can also make this recipe using frozen strawberries, don’t need to thaw them, just blend them a little bit longer with the water.