Licuado de Plátano
This licuado de plátano drink is smooth, creamy, and sweet, with a distinct banana flavor. A Mexican smoothie with a flavorful and comforting cinnamon touch, perfect to start your day or to enjoy pairing it with your favorite sandwich!
Licuado de plátano is a Mexican smooth drink that is made by blending ripe bananas with milk and sometimes other ingredients such as sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and ice.
The recipe name translates to “banana smoothie” in English and is a popular beverage in Mexico and many Latin American countries, where is sold usually served in tall glasses or plastic cups or bags with a straw to enjoy it on the go.
Just like my licuado de fresa recipe, this Mexican smoothie de banana can be served as a refreshing snack or breakfast drink along with chilaquiles or tortas (sandwiches).
Why You’d Love This Recipe
- It is delicious: Banana smoothies have a naturally sweet and creamy taste that you’d love.
- Nutritious: Bananas are a good source of vitamins and minerals, including potassium, vitamin C, and fiber, which can support overall health.
- Convenience: Licuado de plátano is so easy to make and can be a quick and convenient breakfast or snack option.
- Versatility: It is versatile and can be customized with other ingredients to suit individual tastes or dietary preferences, try combining it with chocolate powder, vanilla extract, or peanut butter.
- Energy boost: Bananas are a good source of carbohydrates, which can provide energy to the body, making them a good pre- or post-workout drink.
- Satiation: The fiber in bananas can help you feel full and satisfied, making banana smoothies a good option for curbing hunger cravings.
Let’s see the shopping list for this recipe…
- Bananas: I use 1 large ripe banana per serving.
- Milk: Any type of milk can be used, including whole milk, almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk.
- Sweetener (optional): I used agave syrup, but depending on personal preference, you may want to add another type of sweetener such as honey, maple syrup, or sugar to enhance the natural sweetness of the bananas.
- Cinnamon: Mexican licuados de platano are always made with a touch of canela (ground cinnamon), use as much as you’d like, and don’t forget to garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top too!
- Ice: If you prefer a colder and thicker smoothie, you can add a few ice cubes or frozen banana slices to the blender.
Let’s see how to make this delicious smoothie!
How To Make Licuado de Plátano
Peel the bananas and cut them into 3-4 chunks, then add them to a blender along with yogurt, agave syrup, and cinnamon.
Add milk and crushed ice and blend on high speed until nicely smooth and creamy.
Taste your smoothie and adjust sweetness by adding more syrup or sugar if needed.
Pour the smoothie into large glasses and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon powder on top.
Enjoy immediately, especially if you added ice as it will dilute and make the smoothie lose some flavor.
- The riper the bananas, the sweeter and more flavorful your licuado de plátano will be. Look for bananas that are yellow with brown spots on the peel.
- Frozen bananas will give your smoothie a thicker, creamier texture. Simply peel ripe bananas, chop them into chunks, and freeze them in a bag or container until ready to use.
- A high-speed blender will help you achieve a smoother and creamier texture for your smoothie. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, consider blending the ingredients in stages to ensure everything is thoroughly combined.
- You can use any type of milk to make your smoothie. Consider using almond milk, coconut milk, or oat milk for a different flavor. For a creamier texture, you can also use evaporated milk.
- Consider adding extra ingredients such as peanut butter, cocoa powder, or chia seeds to add extra flavor and nutrition to your smoothie.
- Taste your smoothie before serving and adjust the sweetness or texture as needed by adding more syrup, ice, or milk.
How To Serve
A licuado de plátano pairs well with a variety of foods and can be enjoyed on its own or as part of a larger meal. Here are some ideas for pairing your smoothie.
- Mexican cuisine: In Mexican cuisine, banana licuados are often paired with savory dishes such as tacos or tortas, as well as sweet dishes such as churros or empanadas.
- Breakfast: Pair this smoothie de banana with a breakfast sandwich, toast, or oatmeal for a balanced meal.
- Snack: Enjoy it as a refreshing and nutritious snack on its own or with a handful of nuts or granola.
- Smoothie bowl: Pour the banana licuado into a bowl and top it with fresh fruit, granola, or nuts for a filling and nutritious breakfast or snack.
- Dessert: Use it as a base for a healthy dessert smoothie by adding cocoa powder, homemade pistachio butter, or vanilla extract.
So, a smoothie de banana is a versatile drink that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with a variety of foods to create a balanced and satisfying meal.
Is banana licuado healthy?
Bananas themselves are a nutritious fruit that is a good source of potassium, vitamin C, and fiber. They can help support heart health, digestion, and overall wellness.
To make a healthy banana smoothie, it’s important to choose wholesome ingredients and keep portion sizes in mind.
More Mexican Recipes
If you enjoyed this licuado de plátano recipe, please take a minute and rate it below in the comments. Also, don’t forget to share it and follow this blog on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube.
Licuado de Plátano
- 2 medium bananas (cut into chunks)
- 2 cups whole milk (or your fav plant-based milk)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 4 Tablespoons agave syrup (or use your favorite sweetener)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (plus more for garnish)
- 1 cup crushed ice (optional)
- Add bananas to a blender along with yogurt, agave syrup, and cinnamon.
- Add milk and crushed ice and blend on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Taste your licuado and adjust sweetness by adding more syrup or sugar if needed.
- Pour the smoothie into large glasses and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top and enjoy!
- Use the riper bananas you can find as those are sweeter and add more flavor to the licuado.
- Frozen bananas will give your smoothie a thicker, creamier texture. Simply peel ripe bananas, chop them into chunks, and freeze them in a container until ready to use.
- You can use any type of milk to make your smoothie. Consider using almond milk, coconut milk, or oat milk.