Pineapple agua fresca is a mexican cold beverage that is rich of flavour, nutritious and perfect to beat the high temperatures in summer. Make it sugar-free or use any sweetener you prefer.
What is agua fresca?
Aguas frescas (plural) are very popular in Mexico. Those non-alcoholic beverages can be made with fruits, seeds, grains or citrus. They’re fresh and help you stay hydrated and cool during hot days but also have a important role in the mexican tables.
You’ll find street vendors with large jugs selling aguas frescas all over the country, is part of our culture and I am glad they’re now know around the world because, despite having sugar, they’re for sure a healthier choice for sodas or canned fruit juices.
My mexican contribution
I love agua fresca. These types of drinks so typical of my country are my gastronomic contribution to my Italian family, they love them. Every time I put a jug of agua fresca on the table it’s gone in a few minutes, especially at this time of year when the heat is intense.
One of my favorite agua fresca flavour is pineapple, although sometimes I like to combine it with other fruits or citrus to give it a different touch, pineapple with lemon is undoubtedly a good combination since it is refreshing as well as healthy.
Pineapple, in addition to being juicy, sweet and delicious, is nutritious and aids digestion. It is an amazing fruit. Its water content is very high and due to this its caloric value is low, making it perfect to enjoy without guilt. In this recipe I have obtained the juice with an extractor but if you want to take advantage of all the properties of the pineapple, I recommend you do it with a blender and do not strain the juice, thus avoiding eliminating the pulp that is rich in fiber.
How to make pineapple agua fresca
Make sure the ingredients are at room temperature and this includes water, if the water or pineapple is cold dissolving the sugar will be more complicated. Prepare the pineapple juice by obtaining it with an extractor or, if you want to take advantage of all the properties of the fruit, you can also use a blender
Strain the mixture with a fine sieve or just add it as it is to enjoy all pineapple fiber
Put the pineapple juice in a large 3-liter pitcher, add 2 liters of water and the juice of two limes. Sweeten with refined sugar to taste. Or you can also use honey or any sweetener you prefer.
Put the pitcher in the refrigerator and let cool for at least two hours.
Right before serving, add ice to the pitcher or to the glasses. Enjoy.
MORE AGUA FRESCA RECIPES
- Horchata and strawberry fresca
- Watermelon agua fresca
- Lime and chia agua fresca
- Cucumber and chia fresca
Pineapple agua fresca
- 1 medium pineapple
- 2 lt water
- sweetener sugar, honey, stevia, etc.
- 2 limes juice
- Prepare the pineapple juice by obtaining it with an extractor or use a blender.
- If you use a blender add the pineapple chunks and 2 cups of the water, then blend until smooth. Strain the mixture with a fine sieve or just add it as it is to enjoy all pineapple fiber.
- Put the pineapple juice in a large 3-liter pitcher, add 2 liters of water and the juice of two limes. Add sugar to taste. Or you can also use honey or any sweetener you prefer.
- Put the pitcher in the refrigerator and let cool for at least two hours.
- Right before serving, add ice to the pitcher or to the glasses. Enjoy.