Try this Papas con Huevo recipe, a popular Mexican breakfast featuring pan-fried potatoes, eggs, and onions. It is fulfilling, budget-friendly, and absolutely delicious!
Serve with toasted bread or tortillas, or make tacos and enjoy with a side of frijoles refritos and salsa.
Papas con huevo is a traditional Mexican dish that consists of pan-fried potatoes combined with eggs, onions, and sometimes chilies.
The recipe is usually served for breakfast and is known with other simple names such as huevos con papas, papitas con huevo, or papas con huevos revueltos.
Mexican potatoes breakfast is a recipe straightforward and quick to prepare and requires only a few ingredients, making it the perfect option when you don’t have much time for cooking but still want to enjoy a homemade meal.
The potatoes are nicely crispy outside and soft on the inside. The onions and chilies add flavor, texture, and that extra something that makes this dish a fulfilling and flavorful meal to start your day.
- POTATOES: We recommend slightly cooking the potatoes first (parboil them) so they will fry quickly in the pan and remain creamy inside with a crispy texture on the outside.
- EGGS: For 4 servings I usually use 3 eggs, but feel free to add more if you want. I also like to slightly mix them with salt and pepper before scrambling them with the potatoes, so they are easier to combine.
- ONIONS: You can use white or red onions, and if you feel adventurous, you can also add spring onions to the mix.
- CHILIES: Any type of fresh chilies will work, I used 1 jalapeño pepper but serrano, Thai, or hatch chilies can be used too. Make sure to remove seeds and veins before chopping them if you don’t enjoy spicy food.
- OIL: Any vegetable oil is suitable for this recipe. From olive oil to canola, or even avocado oil.
- SEASONINGS: Garlic, salt, and pepper. I used fresh garlic but powdered is also fine, I recommend adding just a bit when whisking the eggs, then adjusting later when you cook them with the potatoes.
Type of Potatoes You Can Use
One essential aspect to think about when preparing potatoes and eggs in the Mexican way is the type of potatoes you use. Some specific types are better to fry, so we recommend you use one of them for the best results:
- Russet Potatoes: This type of potato is the best for this recipe. Due to their high starch content, they provide excellent crispy results while holding their shape too.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes: Even though this type of potato has a high starch content, they are also very creamy in the center. They also have thinner skin but can still sustain their shape.
- Red Potatoes: When in doubt, use red potatoes! They are pretty much perfect for everything. Because of their low starch content, texture, and moisture, red potatoes are great for pan-frying too.
How To Make Papas Con Huevo
Wash the potatoes, peel them, (or leave the skin on), and then cut them into 1/2-inch cubes.
Peel and mince the garlic and chop the onions too. Then cut the chilies in half longwise, remove the seeds and veins and chop it.
Fill a medium pot with water and bring it to a boil. As soon as the water starts to boil vigorously, add the potatoes and cook exactly for 3 minutes or until the potatoes soften a bit.
Remove the potatoes from the hot water and place them in a colander for a couple of minutes to remove the moisture.
Important: Parboiling (slightly boiling) the potatoes before pan-frying them, is the key for creamy on the inside and crispy on the outside potatoes.
Now, heat the oil in a large frying pan or skillet. Add potatoes and cook for about 8 minutes turning them every now and then to ensure they get crispy and golden on all sides.
Stir in chilies and cook for 1 minute, then add onions, and garlic. Keep cooking until everything is nicely cooked through.
While the potatoes are cooking, crack the eggs in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Whisk them and then add them to the pan.
Scramble the eggs with potatoes for 2-3 minutes or until set to your desired consistency.
And that’s it! Serve your Mexican potatoes immediately as suggested below or allow them to cool down and store them for later.
- Vegetables: Add diced tomatoes, zucchini, or some mushrooms to the mix to add more texture and sneak in some veggies.
- Protein: Ham, hot dog sausages, chorizo, or cheese are all good options for this delicious breakfast.
How To Serve
This Mexican potato breakfast is perfectly served with toasted bread or warm tortillas, and a side of refried beans.
If you want to enjoy papas con huevo tacos, this is my suggestion for serving them:
- Tortillas: Flour tortillas or even blue corn tortillas work perfectly to make tacos, you decide.
- Salsa Bandera: Also known as pico de gallo, this chunky salsa is fresh and healthy.
- Spicy salsa: Chile de arbol salsa or this tomatillo red chili salsa are my first options, but of course, feel free to use your favorite salsa!
- Cheese: Queso fresco, cotija cheese, or any other cheese you like. Even Feta is a good option.
Store & Reheat
Got some leftovers or want to make ahead this dish? Make sure to allow it to cool down then place it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can also freeze papas con huevos, but take in mind that the texture will change a bit. If you don’t mind that, just place the leftovers in a freezer container or a bag and store them for up to 1 month.
For reheating, you can do it in a pan, just add a little bit of oil and sauté the mixture for a couple of minutes until nicely heated through, or use the microwave and reheat in 1-minute intervals.
Papas Con Huevo (Mexican potatoes and eggs)
- 1.5 lb potatoes (peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 3 eggs
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (seeds and veins removed, chopped)
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- pepper (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- Fill a medium pot with water and bring it to a boil.
- Cook potatoes for 3 minutes or until they soften a bit.
- Remove the potatoes and place them in a colander to remove excess moisture.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or skillet.
- Add potatoes and cook for about 8 minutes turning them every now and then to ensure they get crispy and golden on all sides.
- Stir in onions, chilies, and garlic. Keep cooking until everything is cooked through.
- While the potatoes are cooking, crack the eggs in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix them and add them to the pan.
- Cook the eggs with potatoes for 2-3 minutes or until set to your desired consistency.
- Serve with toasted bread or warm tortillas, or make some breakfast tacos.
Did you love Papas Con Huevos recipe? please don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. Remember also that you can share it on your social media and follow this blog on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, and YOUTUBE.