Make this papas con huevos recipe, a delicious breakfast featuring potatoes and eggs scrambled with onions and chilies.
Serve this amazing dish with warm tortillas or toasted bread and a side of salsa.
About the Recipe
Papas con huevos is a traditional Mexican dish that combines simplicity and flavor. It is usually eaten for breakfast or lunch, and is also known with other names like huevos con papas, papitas con huevo, or papas con huevos revueltos.
Despite the name, the recipe is really easy to prepare, budget-friendly, and requires only a few ingredients, making it the perfect option when you don’t have so much time for cooking but still want to enjoy a homemade meal.
The potatoes are nicely crispy outside and soft on the inside. The onions and chilies add flavor, texture, and that extra something that makes this dish a fulfilling and flavorful food to start your day.
Type of Potatoes You Can Use
One essential aspect to think about when preparing potatoes and eggs in the Mexican way is the type of potatoes you use. Some specific types are better to fry, so we recommend you use one of them for the best results:
Russet Potatoes: This type of potato is the best for this recipe. Due to their high starch content, they provide excellent crispy results while holding their shape too.
Yukon Gold Potatoes: Even though this type of potato has a high starch content, they are also very creamy in the center. They also have thinner skin but can still sustain their shape.
Red Potatoes: When in doubt, use red potatoes! They are pretty much perfect for everything. Because of their low starch content, texture, and moisture, red potatoes are great for pan-frying too.
Related Article: Types of Potatoes and Uses.
Ingredients and Substitutes
POTATOES: We recommend slightly cooking the potatoes first (parboil) so they will fry easily in the pan and remain creamy inside with a crispy texture on the outside.
EGGS: For 4 servings I usually use 3 eggs, but feel free to add more if you want. I also like to slightly beat them with salt and pepper before scrambling them with the potatoes, so it is easier to combine.
ONIONS: You can use white or red onions, and if you feel adventurous, you can also add spring onions to the mix!
CHILIES: Any type of fresh chilies will work, I used 1 jalapeño pepper but serrano, thai, or hatch chilies can be used too. If you want less spiciness, make sure to remove seeds and veins before chopping them.
OIL: Any vegetable oil is suitable for this recipe. From olive oil to canola, or even avocado oil.
SEASONINGS: Garlic, salt, and pepper. I used fresh garlic but powdered is also fine, I recommend adding just a bit when whisking the eggs, then adjusting later while cooking the papas con huevo.
Now let’s make the recipe…
How To Cook Papas Con Huevos
Wash the potatoes, peel them, (or leave the skin on), and then cut them into 1/2 inch cubes.
Peel and mince the garlic and chop the onions too. Then cut the chilies in half longwise, remove the seeds and veins and chop it.
Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. As soon as the water starts to boil vigorously, add the potatoes and cook exactly for 3 minutes or until potatoes soften a bit.
Remove the potatoes from the hot water and place them in a colander for a couple of minutes, then spread them over a clean kitchen towel to remove most of the moisture.
Important: Parboiling (slightly boiling) the potatoes before pan-frying them, is the key for creamy on the inside and crispy on the outside potatoes.
Now, heat the oil in a large frying pan or skillet. Add potatoes and cook for about 8 minutes turning them every now and then to ensure they get crispy and golden on all sides.
Stir in onions, chilies, and garlic. Keep cooking until everything is cooked through.
While the potatoes are cooking, crack the eggs in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Whisk them and then add them to the pan.
Cook the eggs with potatoes for 2-3 minutes or until set to your desired consistency.
And that’s it! Serve immediately as suggested below or allow to cool down and store for later.
- Vegetables: Add diced tomatoes, zucchini, or some mushrooms to the mix to add more texture and sneak in some veggies.
- Protein: Ham, hot dog sausages, chorizo, or cheese are all good options for this delicious breakfast.
How To Serve
Papas con huevos is perfect to serve for breakfast with toasted bread or warm tortillas. But if you are like me and like tacos any day of the week, then let me tell you that you can also enjoy them that way. Here’s what you need:
- Tortillas: Flour tortillas or even blue corn tortillas works perfectly to make tacos, you decide.
- Salsa Bandera: Also known as pico de gallo, this chunky salsa is fresh and healthy.
- Spicy salsa: Chile de arbol salsa or this tomatillo red chili salsa are my first options, but of course, feel free to use your favorite salsa!
- Cheese: Queso fresco, cotija cheese, or any other cheese you like. Even Feta is a good option.
Storage And Reheating Instructions
Got some leftovers or want to make ahead this dish? Make sure to allow it to cool down then place it in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can also freeze papas con huevos, just take in mind that the texture will change a bit. If you don’t mind that, just place the leftovers in a freezer container or a bag and store them for up to 1 month.
For reheating, you can do it in a pan, just add a little bit of oil and sauté the mixture for a couple of minutes until nicely heated through, or use the microwave and reheat in 1-minute intervals.
Papas Con Huevos (potatoes and eggs)
- 1.5 lb potatoes (peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 3 eggs
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (seeds and veins removed, chopped)
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- pepper (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook potatoes for 3 minutes or until they soften a bit.
- Remove the potatoes and place them in a colander for a couple of minutes, then spread them over a clean kitchen towel to remove most of the moisture.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or skillet.
- Add potatoes and cook for about 8 minutes turning them every now and then to ensure they get crispy and golden on all sides.
- Stir in onions, chilies, and garlic. Keep cooking until everything is cooked through.
- While the potatoes are cooking, crack the eggs in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix them and add them to the pan.
- Cook the eggs with potatoes for 2-3 minutes or until set to your desired consistency.
- Serve with toasted bread or warm tortillas, or make some tacos.
Did you love Papas Con Huevos recipe? please don’t forget to rate it and leave a comment below. Remember also that you can share it on your social media and follow this blog on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, and YOUTUBE.