Huevos con salchicha is a simple and delicious breakfast that can be made in just 10 minutes, making it perfect for those busy mornings. Serve with your favorite salsa and warm tortillas for an authentic Mexican breakfast.
About the Recipe
The recipe is as simple as it sounds, it consists of scrambled hot dog and eggs served for breakfast with various sides. It can be found with other names too, such as salchichas con huevo, huevos revueltos con salchicha, or huevito con salchicha.
In Mexico, this recipe is a favorite and is pretty common to find it on the menu at any restaurant or local food markets all over the country.
Traditionally, salchichas con huevo is served with refried beans on the side, hot salsa (for grown-ups), and warm tortillas or bread. It can also be used to stuff gorditas, make a quick taco, or tortas (sandwiches).
How To Know If Eggs Are Fresh
One of the most usual concerns when we want to cook eggs is about freshness. Are they still good? Will I get sick if I eat eggs that have been in my refrigerator for more than a week?
So here is a quick test to know if your eggs are still good to be consumed:
- Fill a large glass with cold water.
- Gently, place and egg inside (carefully, you don’t want to accidentally crack it).
- If the egg sink to the bottom and lay on its side, it’s good to eat.
- If the egg floats a little bit but still stands on the small end touching the bottom of the glass, its still good to eat.
- If the egg floats to the surface is time to throw it away as it will be too old to eat.
Related: 4 Easy Ways to Tell if an Egg Has Gone Bad – By Southern Living.
Like many other Mexican children, I grew up eating huevos con salchicha for breakfast regularly. My mother will just prepare it while I was getting ready for school and then serve it to me in two taquitos with a bit of ketchup on it. So, let me tell you how she made this recipe over and over again.
Huevos Con Salchicha Recipe
Slice the hot dogs into thick pieces. You can use any type of hot dog you prefer (pork, chicken, turkey, or even vegan hot dogs).
Next, add two tablespoons of olive oil or any oil you prefer to a pan and heat over medium-low heat. Add the hot dog pieces and cook until nicely browned on all sides.
While hot dogs are browning, crack the eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Beat the eggs until everything is nicely combined.
Pour the eggs over the hot dogs and let them sit, without stirring, for 15 seconds.
Now, stir gently folding over and lifting the eggs from the bottom so the eggs create some air bubbles and become fluffy. Keep stirring gently until eggs are cooked to your liking.
Adjust with salt and pepper to taste and serve as suggested below.
- Frijoles refritos. Just like peanut butter and jelly, refried beans are the best accompaniment for huevos con salchicha.
- Tortillas. Either you decide to accompany with corn tortillas or flour tortillas, you won’t go wrong with this decision.
- Nopales salad. Make some quick tacos and top them with this delicious and healthy salad made of pickled cactus and vegetables.
- Bread. A warm bolillo is also a favorite for pairing with hot dogs and eggs. Toasted bread is also perfect.
- Salsa. Molcajete salsa is in my opinion the best salsa for breakfast, it is earthy, delicious and easy to make.
- Chilies. Pickled chilies are also very common to pair with this easy recipe, try it!
Huevos con Salchicha are delicious just the way they are, but to make them better, here are some variations you could try:
Cheesy. Add some grated cheese such as Oaxaca, Asadero, Mozzarella, or your favorite melty cheese to the mixture about 20 seconds before you turn off the heat. Mix well, cover, and allow the cheese to melt before serving.
Veggies. Dice some onions and chilies and sautéed them along with the hot dogs, it adds an extra texture and lots of flavors! Other veggies such as bell peppers, spring onions, and zucchini work too.
How To Store And Reheat
I always recommend making this recipe and eating it right away since it takes only a few minutes to prepare it.
But, in case you want to make a large batch and have your breakfast ready some days ahead, here are a few suggestions about storing and reheating:
- Allow to cool down your huevos con salchicha, then transfer them in an airtight container. If you make a large batch, you can divide it in various containers.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- I don’t recommend freezing as it lose texture and flavor after thawing.
- For reheating. Place salchichas con huevo mixture in a pan, add a splash of milk (just a little) and reheat over medium-high heat.
Other Mexican Breakfasts With Eggs
- Huevos con jamón. Scrambled eggs with ham.
- Huevos a la Mexicana. Scrambled eggs with tomatoes, onions, and chilies.
- Chorizo con huevo. Scrambled eggs with flavorful Mexican chorizo.
Did you know? – huevos con salchicha in English is translated to “hot dogs and eggs”.
Huevos con salchicha (hot dogs and eggs)
- 8 small eggs
- 4 bun-size hot dogs (sliced into thick bites)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Add the oil to a pan and heat over medium-low heat.
- Add the hot dog pieces and cook until nicely browned on all sides.
- Crack the eggs on a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs until everything is nicely combined.
- Pour the eggs over the hot dogs and let it sit, without stirring, for 15 seconds.
- Now, stir gently folding over and lifting the eggs from the bottom so the eggs creates some air bubbles and become fluffy.
- Keep stirring gently until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Adjust with salt and pepper to taste and serve.