Huevos a la Mexicana (Mexican style eggs) are so easy to make and a nice option for a breakfast or Sunday brunch. Make our recipe with a small trick for a creamy and delicious dish that everyone will love!
About the recipe
Mexican style eggs aka huevos a la mexicana is a simple breakfast made with scrambled eggs, tomatoes, onions and green chilies. They are a Mexican favorite and is pretty common to find them at any restaurant or food market all over Mexico.
This dish is very easy to prepare and budget friendly. Huevos a la Mexicana is commonly served with refried beans, alongside with corn tortillas or also flour tortillas. Café de olla (pot coffee) is also served with, and sometimes orange juice too.
Why are they called “a la Mexicana”?
Some of the most common ingredients in Mexican kitchens are onions, tomatoes and green peppers (jalapeños, serranos, etc.). The colors are a remainder of our country flag.
So when we make something with those three ingredients most likely we’ll call it a la Mexicana. Hence, there are more dishes with that name on it, such as calabacitas a la mexicana, picadillo a la mexicana, carne a la mexicana, etc.
The Simple Ingredients
- EGGS – Crack them all in a bowl and whisk them a bit with a pinch of salt, it will be easier to add them to the pan.
- TOMATOES – Ripe, red tomatoes, diced. Some people like to discard the seeds but I just add them without discarding anything.
- ONIONS – Diced and preferably sauté those first, I like them to be tender and not raw in my eggs.
- GREEN CHILLIES – Any kind of fresh green chilies. Remove seeds and veins if you don’t like spicy food.
- SIDE DISH – Fried beans are a must. Tortillas, corn or flour doesn’t matter. you can also add avocado slices and red rice as side dish.
- THE TRICK – Add a splash of cream or milk to the eggs when they’re cooking. It will make the eggs so creamy!
Huevos a la Mexicana Recipe – Step By Step
Prepare everything you’ll need: Dice the tomatoes, finely chop onions and chilies. Remember to use gloves if you’re removing seeds and veins from chilies.
Crack eggs on a bowl, add salt and pepper and whisk lightly. Set aside.
In a frying pan heat 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Turn the heat to low and add onions. Cook until tender and translucent (about 3 minutes). Stir in the chillies and cook for one minute.
Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and sauté for two minutes or until tomatoes release their juices.
Pour eggs folding in large curds, add a splash of milk or cream and keep folding occasionally until eggs are cooked through (about 2-3 minutes)
How To Serve
As tradition calls, Mexican Style Eggs are served with Refried beans or De la Olla Beans. And even if this dish has chilies already, a good sauce is mandatory, for example Salsa de Molcajete (roasted sauce), Guacamole Sauce or Chili Oil Salsa (my favourite).
Huevos a la Mexicana (Mexican style eggs)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 medium fresh tomato (chopped)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 green chillies (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- salt & pepper
- Crack eggs on a bowl, add salt and pepper and whisk lightly. Set aside.
- In a frying pan heat oil over medium heat. Turn the heat to low and add onions. Cook until tender and translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in the chilies and cook for one minute.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and sauté for two minutes or until tomatoes release their juices.
- Pour eggs folding in large curds, add a splash of milk or cream and keep folding occasionally until eggs are cooked through (about 2-3 minutes)
LIKED THIS MEXICAN RECIPE? Please, rate it and let us know on the comments below! we’d love to hear from you. And don’t forget to follow us on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and YOUTUBE . Thank you so much for stopping by!