This homemade clamato juice is so simple to make and definitely a better choice for the store-bought version.
This tomato juice is unlike anything else on this planet! With a savory depth flavor is the perfect ingredient for many Mexican cocktails, snacks and seafood recipes.
What is Clamato?
The word clamato comes from the combination of the two ingredients in this juice, that its: the clams and tomatoes. It is a unique and flavorsome juice that has quite a hype among people.
This juice uses unusual flavors to create a cocktail-style beverage. Thanks to the “Mott’s” who bought clamato in front of the world. It was an instant hit in Mexico; however, it didn’t gain popularity in the states until the 1970s. Today clamato is widely used in U.S, Mexico and Canada.
Here’s a more detailed article by The Kitchn about what really is Clamato.
How is Clamato juice used in Mexican cuisine?
Where most people like to mix it with alcoholic beverages, Mexicans use Clamato juice also in other ways besides cocktails. Here is how it is used in Mexico:
- Snacks: Some street food snacks includes this juice in the ingredients. For example, pepinos locos (crazy cucumbers) or sandía loca.
- Alcoholic beverages: Mixed it with some alcoholic beverages like tequila or mezcal to enjoy a unique cocktail.
- Beer cocktails: Micheladas is a famous cocktail in Mexico that is made with beer, clamato and lime juice.
- Sea food cocktails: If you have ever heard of shrimp/octopus cocktails, you will know what it means. A shrimp cocktail has a cocktail base and shrimps served on it. This cocktail base is usually clamato juice. It is not just delicious but is the true Mexican way of enjoying this juice with delicacy.
Why is it best to make your own?
There are many reasons you should make Clamato juice at home. Here are a few:
- Quality: Although the drink is passed through several quality assurance tests; the use of preservatives is something that is always a concern for several people. So, for those who like to relate the use of preservatives with quality, making your clamato is a better option. You can choose the best and premium quality ingredients because you buy all the ingredients on your own.
- Sodium content: If you take a closer look at the clamato ingredient label, you will see a very high sodium content. That’s mainly because of the clam juice. When you make your version, you can reduce the amount of clam juice to control the sodium content.
- Sugar content: One of the main ingredients of this juice is corn syrup that is high in fructose. As you prepare your juice, you can limit the use of sugar and thus less calories, so it is far healthier than the store-bought version.
- Flavor adjustment: When you are making something at home, you can easily adjust the flavors according to your liking. You can add more spices and reduce the sweetness.
In short, it is clear that the one you make at home is organic, free from preservatives, additive sugar, fats, and sodium. Plus, you can store it for up to 7 days, so it is pocket-friendly as well!
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this recipe at home:
How To Make Clamato Juice Copycat
How To Store It
This homemade recipe can last up to 7 days in the fridge. Just make sure the juice is transferred to a bottle and close it very well. And don’t forget to give it a good shake before using it.
Watch How To Make It
Thank you for watching this. Please don’t forget to rate and leave us a comment below, or to share this recipe in your social media!
Clamato Juice (copycat)
- 1 cup plain tomato sauce
- ½ cup clam juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 stick celery (cut into chunks)
- ½ small onion (cut into chunks)
- 1 small carrot (cut into chunks)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeds and veins removed)
- 1 lime (juice)
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp hot Mexican salsa (optional)
- 1 garlic clove (peeled)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend for about 3 minutes or until you’ll have a smooth sauce.
- Pour the mixture into a container or bottle straining through a fine sieve.
- Cover the container and store in the fridge for up to one week. Give it a good mix before using it in your recipes.
Maricruz Avalos Flores is a Mexican cook and photographer living in Italy where she shares authentic Mexican & Italian recipes that can be easily made at home using easy-to-find ingredients.