Huevos con chorizo is a Mexican traditional breakfast which is made with chorizo and eggs scrambled and served with various side dishes and coffee.
This recipe is easy easy to make at home and it takes only 3 ingredients: Mexican chorizo, eggs, and oil. That’s it. And the preparation is just about 10 minutes! I know, right? a delicious breakfast can’t be this easy, but believe me, it is and you’ll see.
What is huevos con chorizo?
Huevos con chorizo is a simple, yet delicious, Mexican dish that is made by scrambling eggs with chorizo meat in a frying pan. The deliciousness comes from the chorizo, that once is fried it will release all it’s flavor and infuse the oil where the eggs will also cook and get an amazing taste.
Of course, you can buy Mexican chorizo at many supermarkets, but you can also make it ah home! I do that because here where I live is not so easy to find it. Click on the photo below to know how to make chorizo at home.
How its served?
Chorizo and eggs is served traditionally for breakfast, as many other Mexican egg recipes. It is mostly paired with refried beans sprinkled with queso fresco, and some hot sauce, like molcajete salsa.
The easy recipe
Heat 3 tablespoons of canola oil on a frying pan over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook for about 7 minutes crumbling it with a wooden spoon until has cooked through and it is lightly crispy.
While the chorizo is cooking, crack the eggs into a bowl, whisk them a little bit with a pinch of salt. Pour eggs into the pan with chorizo and stir while cooking.
From here, it’s all about your personal preferences. I like my scrambled eggs to be fully cooked, but many people like them moist. So, my recommendation is to cook them as you like, as far as chorizo is nicely cooked, the result will be delicious, no matter what.
- You can also crack eggs directly into the pan. I like to whisk them a little before adding them and also because I am little concerned about food safety. You can read here more about how to properly crack an egg.
- I rarely add salt to this dish because actually chorizo is well seasoned and there’s not need for more salt.
How To Store
If you have some leftovers, place them into a container and store in the fridge for up to three days.
Chorizo and eggs also freeze wonderfully. Make a large batch of this recipe, allow to cool down then divide into zip bags and freeze up to 3 months. The night before you intend to eat them for breakfast just thaw them on the kitchen counter so they will be ready the next morning.
Huevos con chorizo (eggs and chorizo)
- 4 Mexican chorizo sausages (about 14 oz)
- 6 medium eggs
- 2 tsp canola oil
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Heat oil on a frying pan over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook for about 7 minutes crumbling it with a wooden spoon until has cooked through and it is lightly crispy.
- While the chorizo is cooking, crack the eggs into a bowl, whisk them a little bit with a pinch of salt.
- Pour eggs into the pan with chorizo and stir to combine.
- Cook until eggs are set.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE? Please, don’t forget to rate it and leave us a comment below, we’d love to hear from you! Also, remember that you can share it using the buttons below. If you’d like, you can follow us on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and YOUTUBE!