These vegan lentil tacos are super easy to prepare and you won’t even miss the meat! Packed with fiber, protein, and delicious Mexican flavours those tacos are the perfect way to add more vegan recipes into your daily life. This spicy vegan version of tacos uses lentils instead of minced beef and the flavour is so rich and delicious that even my husband who loves meat asks me to do them from time to time.
You know, I am a big fan of tacos. As a mexican it wouldn’t be any other way; but fact is, I don’t make them often because here where I live is not that easy (or cheap) to find store bought tortillas so sometimes I just don’t have the time to prepare the whole taco night thing from scratch. BUT, when I am lucky enough to get some store bought delicious tortillas for sure I make tacos like…3-4 days straight. Anyway, I had a big pot of lentils sitting in my fridge, I made them some days prior and we were eating them with warm bread until my husband told me if I wanted a taquito for a late snack and so I said yes and there you go, our vegan lentil tacos were born just like that!.
They turned delicious so I have been making and serving them for taco tuesday almost every week.
You gonna need:
Lentils: I am leaving you below the recipe to prepare mexican flavoured lentils, or you can also watch this video and use that recipe which is pretty awesome too.
Tortillas: You can buy some from the store or make your own. We have here the recipe for flour tortillas, so check it up.
Veggies: Shredded lettuce, cabbage, pickled onions, diced tomatoes, anything you like.
Cheese & Cream: Any vegan version or for a vegetarian version any cheese and cream of your choice.
Limes: You can’t go wrong with limes.
Pair those delicious vegan lentil tacos with our Strawberry horchata agua fresca!
Vegan lentil tacos
- 12 tortillas
- 250 gr cooked lentils
- 100 gr white onions
- 200 gr fresh tomatoes
- 2 green chillies
- 1 piece lettuce
- 1 red onion
- ½ tsp grounded cumin
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 30 gr olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Chop the onions and green chillies.
- Dice the tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion and chillies, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper stirr for about 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium and add lentils and tomatos. Mix well and cook for about 4 minutes. Add a splash of water and cook the lentils mashing lightly with a fork and adding water if necessary, until lentils and tomatoes are heated through and hold together.
- Season with additional salt if needed and set aside.
- In a cast-iron skillet heat up the tortillas. Place tortilla on a plate and add some shredded lettuce then a scoop of lentils. Finish with diced red onions, sauce (like guacamole), vegan sour cream and a squeeze of lime. Repet with all tortillas and enjoy!