Those leftover steak tacos are packed with savory goodness and perfect for any weeknight dinner! Topped with fresh onions, cilantro and drizzled with a delicious roasted chipotle sauce, those tacos require very little prep work.
There’s nothing more appetizing than a juicy, tender steak just out of the grill or pan. But sometimes you’ll end with some steak leftovers that the next day are dry, tough, and unappetizing.
Those tacos are perfect to use your steak leftovers and you don’t have to worry about the meat being dried-out or too chewy because we’re using a little trick to “make it” juicy again.
Lets start by making the star of this recipe: A delicious, smoky, mild chipotle salsa. And the best of all is that you’ll have control of the spiciness!
How To Make The Chipotle Sauce
Wash tomatoes and place them on a hot griddle or a cast-iron skillet. Grill until charred spots appear and tomatoes soften.
Let tomatoes slightly cool down and then place them on a blender. Add garlic, salt, a pinch of cumin, and chipotle chilies. If you want your sauce spicier, add two or three grilled chile de árbol (dried red hot Mexican peppers).
Blend until you desired consistency and then transfer the salsa to a jar or bowl. Set aside.
How to heat up leftover steak
In a small bowl, add beef stock, cumin, pepper, a pinch of salt, and oil. Mix and set aside.
Heat 3 tablespoons of oil on a cast iron skillet or frying pan. Add the steak and stir for half a minute. Pour the beef stock mixture over the meat, mix and allow to cook for 2 minutes. Be careful and don’t let the meat to dry out.
Place on a plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm and prevent the meat from drying out.
Make your leftover steak tacos
Heat up your tortillas, you can use a cast iron skillet or a comal. If you want them to have charred spots you can also heat them up directly on the stove flame or on a grill. You can also heat the tortillas in the microwave. Just pile them on batches of four to five tortillas and cover them with a damp paper towel. Microwave at high for about half a minute or until they’re warm and soft.
Place a tortilla on a plate, add meat in the center then top with cilantro and onions. Drizzle with the chipotle sauce and serve immediately with a squeeze of lime.
Customize your tacos
Of course, you can make your version of those delicious leftover steak tacos with whatever you have on hand at home!
So, let’s say you have carrots, cabbages and onions, well, make this amazing Mexican cabbage salad! or you can also make your own corn tortillas at home with our step and step recipe and video. No tortilla press is needed!
What salsa to use?
The chipotle salsa we are sharing today is the star of those amazing tacos, but if you don’t like it or you want to try other kind of salsa, that’s not a problem because we have some other options for you:
- What about you have an avocado sitting in your fridge? Let me tell you that this amazing guacamole sauce is the best for tacos. Try it and come to tell me if you liked it.
- Got some zucchini? Have you heard about fake guacamole sauce? This is the time to try it then, for me, this is one of the easiest and delicious Mexican salsas out there.
- And, if you want to spicy up this meal, pico de gallo never fails, top your tacos with this fresh and popular salsa.
- Speaking of, have you tried pico de gallo with a sweet touch? If you haven’t, then this pineapple pico de gallo is for you.
Leftover Steak Tacos With Chipotle Salsa
- 3 cups cooked steak (leftovers) chopped
- 10 medium corn tortillas
- ½ cup beef stock
- sant & pepper
For the chipotle salsa
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 arbol chilies optional
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 1 medium onion chopped
- bunch of cilantro chopped
- 1 cup radishes diced
Prepare the salsa
- Roast tomatoes on a griddle until charred spots appears and tomatoes becomes soft.
- Let them slightly cool down and then place them on a blender with garlic, salt, a pinch of cumin, and chipotle chilies. Add arbol chilies if you want salsa to be spicy.
- Blend for half a minute, transfer to a jar or bowl and set aside.
Prepare the steak
- In a small bowl, add beef stock, a pinch of cumin, pepper and salt to taste. Add oil and mix well.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil on a cast iron skillet or frying pan. Add the steak and stir for half a minute or until lightly crispy.
- Pour the beef stock mixture, mix and cook for 1 to 2 minutes taking care of not letting the meat dry out.
- Place the steak on a plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep it warm and juicy.
Assemble the tacos
- Place a cast iron skillet or a comal over medium heat and warm up tortillas (read notes).
- Place a tortilla on a plate then add meat in the center. Top with cilantro, onions and radishes.
- Drizzle with the chipotle sauce and serve immediately.
DO YOU LIKE THIS LEFTOVER STEAK TACOS RECIPE? Please, rate it and let us know on the comments below! we’d love to hear from you. And don’t forget to share it using the bottoms bellow & follow us on: PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and YOUTUBE