This chocolate chip banana bread have everything you’ll crave for a treat after a long day at work or enjoy for breakfast with a big glass of milk.
This recipe is my family favourite, is full of banana flavor with morsels of melty chocolate and wonderfully moist.
Banana bread is a classic from USA and something we make at home on a regular basis. Sometimes we like enjoy the classic recipe but sometimes we love to add something extra.
When the bananas are ready for chocolate chip Banana Bread?
The blacker the banana is, the sweeter it is. Best bananas for banana bread aren’t yellow but black or at least nicely spotted and soft. The flavour of a really ripe banana is more concentrated which is perfect for any banana bread recipe out there.
How To Ripen Bananas Quickly
If you’re eager to make banana bread but don’t have bananas that are ripe enough, don’t worry. Just preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C, place the bananas unpeeled on a baking sheet and bake for about 12-15 minutes. Let them cool then proceed with the recipe.
Ready for baking banana bread anytime
So you have lots of overripe bananas? Peel them and freeze them. Next time you’ll crave banana bread just let them defrost and use them in your recipe.
Use another type of flour for chocolate chip banana bread
- Whole wheat flour. It will make the banana bread a little more dense but still remain delicious. Use milk chocolate morsels for better results .
- Gluten-free flour. Any gluten free flour mix should do the trick, but I recommend using a brand you have previously used and tested before.
- Other types of flour. Coconut flour, oat, almond, buckwheat.
Step by step recipe
Preheat oven to 350˚F (175°C). Butter and flour a bread loaf pan about 9.8 x 6.1 x 3 inches (24x15x7cm).
Peel bananas and place them on a plate, using a potato masher or a fork, marsh bananas until creamy. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
Place mashed bananas on a bowl and add melted butter, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined. Add flour mixture and sugar, then mix to combine ingredients.
Add chocolate chips and fold in. Transfer mixture to the prepared loaf pan.
Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Place the pan on a cooling rack and allow to rest for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
How To Store It
Honestly, at home this chocolate chip banana bread rarely last more than one day, but sometimes I bake two or three loafs to share with friends and family, so I always recommends to wrap it tightly with cling film or put it in a zippered bag and keep it at room temperature for 2-3 days.
You can also slice it and freeze it for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge to have it ready next morning for breakfast!
More sweet treats
- Banana and Nutella muffins – Moist and chocolaty, those muffins will not make it to the second day after baked!
- Classic tiramisù – A delicious soft and moist cake made with savoiardi(ladyfingers) biscuits soaked in coffee and layered with mascarpone cheese cream.
- Peach streusel muffins – Peach streusel muffins to start kicking your day! those muffins are the perfect breakfast or summer treat for your family.
Chocolate chip banana bread
- Loaf pan about 9.8 x 6.1 x 3 inches (24x15x7cm)
- 3 overripe mashed bananas (read notes)
- 1 cup (150g) all purpose flour
- ½ cup (120g) butter (melted)
- ¾ cup (150g) white sugar
- ⅔ cup (160ml) buttermilk
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips (sugar-free)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (175°C). Butter and flour a bread loaf pan about 9.8 x 6.1 x 3 inches (24x15x7cm).
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Place mashed bananas on a bowl and add melted butter, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- Add flour mixture and sugar, then mix to combine ingredients.
- Add chocolate chips and fold in. Transfer mixture to the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a cooling rack and allow to rest for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD RECIPE? Please, don’t forget to rate it and leave us a comment below, we’d love to hear from you! Also, remember that you share it using the buttons below. If you’d like, you can follow us on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and YOUTUBE!