Creamy chicken potato salad made with simple ingredients to enjoy in your gatherings, summer picnics and outdoor trips or as a side dish for grilled veggies. This is the classic Mexican ensalada de pollo with the nice touch of pickled jalapenos!
When I was a kid, my mother used to prepare this salad for the birthday of every-family-member. Always. It was like the ultimate dish to any birthday party or gathering. For example, a traditional birthday plate will have a portion of the main dish, a portion of this chicken potato salad, mosaic jello, and of course, a slice of birthday cake. All in the same plate.
Also, this mexican chicken potato salad will make it to almost all picnic and outdoor trips we did. It will be served in a plastic plate with salty crackers or tostadas. Then the next day the leftovers will become a sandwich that I had to bring to school for lunch. Every-single-time.
So no wonder why this salad brings so many memories to me and why I am here sharing this simple yet delicious dish.
MEAT – Chicken and ham is what traditionally we add to this salad, but sometimes you’ll see that also crispy bacon or hot dog sausages are thrown into the mix.
POTATOES – Make sure they’re not overcooked. Rinse them with cold water as soon as you see they’re ready.
VEGGIES – Carrots, peas, corn and iceberg lettuce for a crunchy touch. Sometimes also green beans are thrown to the mix or even apples!
FOR COATING – Only mayonnaise and sour cream for the authentic mexican version. But of course, if you want it more rich in flavour, add also 1 tablespoon of mustard.
CHILLIES – What kind of mexican salad this would be without a little bit of hot chillies?. Pickled jalapenos are a must-have here.
How to make chicken potato salad
Cook chicken breast in boiling water with salt, garlic and bay leaves until tender. Let it cool sightly then shred it using two forks. Place chicken in a large bowl and set aside. Peel and cut potatoes in 1 cm cubes then peel and dice carrots.
Place a medium sauce with water and 1 tablespoon of salt over high heat and bring to boil. When the water starts boiling add potatoes and lower the heat to medium.
Simmer until tender then remove them and give them a quick rinse with cold water. Drain well and place them on to the bowl with chicken, then proceed to do same with carrots. Add corn, peas and shredded lettuce to the bowl.
Mix in mayonnaise, sour cream and pickled jalapeno. Coat evenly, season with salt to taste and cover the bowl.
Chill the salad for at least one hour before serving, in order to let flavours blend all together. I also like to add a little bit of vinegar from the pickled jalapeños but that’s totally optional.
How to serve
- On top of tostadas – Deliciously crunchy. You can even make your own tortillas if you want!
- Make a sandwich – to bring anywhere, use any kind of white bread for sandwiches or a whole grain bread for a healthy choice.
- With salty crackers – for a quick snack in the afternoon.
- As a side dish – For roasted or grilled veggies.
More summer salads you might enjoy
- Italian rice salad
- Chicken pineapple salad with cows cous
- Macaroni classic salad
- Mediterranean pasta salad
How to store
If you ended with some leftover, place them into a air-tight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Actually, this chicken potato salad can be ahead of time and enjoy the next day aswell!
Chicken potato salad
For the chicken
- 1 small chicken breast about 3 cups once cooked and shredded
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 bay leaves
For the salad
- 3 medium potatoes about 360g
- 2 small carrots about 120g
- 1 can peas 4oz/120g
- 1 can sweet corn 7oz/200g
- 2 cups lettuce shredded (about 150g)
- ½ cup mayonaisse 120g
- 1 cup sour cream or mexican cream 200g
- 2 Tbsp pickled jalapeño chopped
- Cook chicken breast in boiling water with salt, garlic and bay leaves until tender. Let it cool sightly then shred it using two forks. Place chicken in a large bowl and set aside.
- Peel and cut potatoes in 2 cm. cubes then peel and dice carrots.
- Place a medium sauce with water and 1 tablespoon of salt over high heat and bring to boil. When the water starts boiling add potatoes and lower the heat to medium. Simmer until tender (about 8 minutes) then take them off with a colander and give them a quick rinse with cold water.
- Drain well and place them on to the bowl with chicken, then proceed to do same with carrots (about 4 minutes cooking time).
- Add corn, peas and shredded lettuce to the bowl.
- Mix in mayonnaise, sour cream and jalapeno. Coat evenly, season with salt to taste and cover the bowl. Chill the salad for at least one hour before serving, in order to let flavours blend all together.
DID YOU LIKE THIS CHICKEN SALAD? Please, don’t forget to rate it and leave us a comment below, we’d love to hear from you! Also, remember that you can follow us on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and YOUTUBE! .