This cannellini beans salad is packed with simple flavors and ready in less than 10 minutes! A fresh and simple salad to go with meat and vegetable dishes.
With the arrival of the heat season you want to spend less time near to the stove and for this the solution is: salads. Fresh, quick and easy to prepare and also the perfect meal for those busy days.
Insalata di sedano e fagioli
Insalata di sedano e fagioli is the Italian name for this simple and delicious recipe. In Italy it is mainly served as an antipasto (starter) or as a light lunch alongside with bread or focaccia.
One of my favorite restaurants in Rome used to serve these beans on their antipastone menu which is some sort of buffet of various starter dishes such as bruschetta, cold cuts, various type of cheese and grilled vegetables.
I loved to order it went we used to go there. Cleaning every last drop of that aromatic oil that was left on the plate using their artisan homemade bread was one of those simple pleasures that made me happy.
How To Clean Celery
Cleaning the celery is undoubtedly a very important step in this recipe since is added raw, we have to pay special attention to clean it as better as possible.
Start by discarding the most wilted leaves and the white part of the base of the stems. The tenderest leaves as well as the branches can be stored in the freezer (after you wash them and pat dry them) to prepare soups and stews.
Wash the stems very well, paying special attention to the hollow part of each piece since that is where the dirt normally accumulates. Using a potato peeler or knife, carefully peel the outer layer of each stalk, to remove the strings that give the celery a tough texture.
Wash and clean the celery as suggested above. Cut it into small pieces and place it in a large container.
Clean the onion and cut it into thin slices. Add to the bowl and mix.
Add the beans and season with salt and pepper, add the oregano and a good drizzle of olive oil. Mix and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Before serving add a squeeze of lemon, give it a quick mix and serve.
- If you using canned beans, place them in a colander and rinse them a little under cold water to remove the preservation liquid.
- A little lemon juice is perfect in this salad, I suggest to add it only at the end, when it will be time to serve.
- You can also add some garlic for a more intense flavor on this salad. Add it either finely chopped or just lightly crushed and mixed with the beans, but before serving don’t forget to discard it.
How to store
This cannellini beans salad is delicious if you make it ahead of time, even the day before. Once you have prepared it, place it in a container with an air-tight lid and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
How To Serve
Or, if you prefer a vegan meal, it can also be served on its own, as a light lunch accompanied by this delicious homemade bread.
Watch How To Make It
Cannellini Bean Salad (vegan)
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 1 cup celery cut into small bites
- 1 small white onion finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- extra virgin olive oil as needed
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Place celery, onions and beans into a large bow.
- Add salt and pepper, oregano, vinegar and a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix well, adjust seasonings and let the salad rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon.
LIKED THIS CANNELLINI BEANS SALAD? Please, rate it and let us know on the comments below! we’d love to hear from you. And don’t forget to share it using the bottoms bellow & follow us on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and YOUTUBE .