This refreshing agua de kiwi is a truly tropical treat that will leave you feeling refreshed and revitalized! Can be made in just 10 minutes and is the perfect treat for a sunny day.
Agua de Kiwi, also known as Kiwi Water or Kiwi Lemonade, is a refreshing Mexican beverage made by blending fresh kiwi fruit with water and sweetener. It is a popular variation of the traditional aguas frescas.
Aguas frescas are a delightful drink from Mexico. With their refreshing qualities, variety of flavors, and the joy of making them from scratch, these delicious Mexican beverages are a staple at my home!
Fresh Kiwi: Start by selecting ripe and juicy kiwi fruits. They should be firm but yield slightly to gentle pressure. I like to cut them into large chunks so they are easier to blend.
Lemon: For a tangy twist, squeeze in a splash of fresh lemon juice to enhance the flavors even more. You can also use lime juice for more tartness.
Water: You can use room temperature water or cold water, I prefer room temperature because the sugar is easier to dissolve, but if you use syrup or skip the sugar, cold water is fine.
Sweetener: I used sugar but you can add a natural sweetener like honey, agave syrup, or a sugar substitute. Remember that the fruit will add some sweetness to the kiwi lemonade, so don’t add too much sweetener and always taste before adding more.
How To Make Agua de Kiwi
Now that you have your ingredients ready, here’s a step-by-step guide to creating your own Agua Fresca de Kiwi:
Tips & Tricks
- To achieve a nice bright green color in your beverage, select kiwi fruits that are ripe but not overly soft.
- Kiwi fruits are naturally sweet, but keep in mind that some fruits may be sweeter than others. So adjust sweetness accordingly.
Agua de Kiwi is a versatile beverage, and you can experiment with different flavors and ingredients to create exciting variations. Here are my favorite recipe ideas to inspire you:
- Mix with other fruits: Blend in other fruits to make this agua de kiwi. Think of strawberries, melon, watermelon, or pineapple.
- Vegetables and greens: In Mexico, you’ll find agua fresca de kiwi made with cucumbers, celery, and even alfalfa. Those ingredients add a punch of nutritional goodness to the kiwi water!
- Coconut: Instead of adding additional sweetener, incorporate coconut water into the mixture for a tropical touch.
- Herbs & aromatics: A few basil leaves, mint leaves, or a bit of ginger will offer a tangy and herbaceous flavor profile that complements the kiwi beautifully.
Do you have other ideas to make this refreshing kiwi water? Let me know below in the comments and I’d include them in this list!
How To Store
If you have agua de kiwi leftovers or want to make it ahead, you can transfer the drink to a large jar or a pitcher with a tight lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
I strongly recommend using a glass container and ensure is tightly closed to prevent smells from other foods get inside the drink.
If you want to make it ahead for more than 3 days, you can blend the kiwi fruit with a bit of water until pureed, then fill an ice cube tray and freeze for up to 3 months.
Why You Should Make This Recipe
- Refreshing: With its base of fresh kiwi fruit this recipe provides a delicious alternative to sugary drinks and offers a thirst-quenching experience that keeps you cool and hydrated during hot summer months.
- Versatile: Agua de Kiwi Lemonade is highly versatile, allowing you to customize it by adding other fruits, and herbs, and adjusting the sweetness level.
- Quick & easy: The recipe is super easy to make and ready in only 10 minutes. With just a few ingredients and a blender, you can create a refreshing and hassle-free beverage to impress your friends and family.
- Nutritious: Agua de kiwi is not only delicious but also packs a nutritional punch. Kiwi fruits are rich in vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants, which can support your immune system, aid digestion, and promote overall well-being.
- Family-friendly: Kiwi agua fresca is a fantastic option for parties and family gatherings. Kids will love it!
What is kiwi?
Kiwi is a small fruit with a fuzzy brown exterior and vibrant green or yellow flesh. It is native to China but is now cultivated in several countries around the world, including New Zealand, Italy, and the United States.
It is also known as kiwifruit and Chinese gooseberry.
What is agua fresca?
Agua fresca is a traditional Mexican drink made by blending fresh fruits with water and a touch of sweetness.
It’s a fantastic alternative to sugary sodas and artificial beverages, as it provides a healthier and more natural option to quench your thirst.
More Mexican Drinks
Did you make this Kiwi Water recipe? Then please rate it and leave us a comment below. Also, follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube for daily inspiration, helpful tips, and engaging discussions. Don’t miss out!
Agua de Kiwi
- Large pitcher or jar
- 4 kiwi fruit (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 8 cups water (room temperature)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- ice (for serving)
- Add kiwi chunks to a blender along with lemon juice and 2 cups of water.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the mixture to a large pitcher and add the remaining water.
- Add sugar, mix well, and taste the drink. Adjust sweetness if desired.
- Add ice to glasses and fill with agua de kiwi.
- Enjoy immediately.
- To achieve a nice bright green color in your agua fresca, select kiwi fruits that are ripe but not overly soft.
- Kiwi fruits are naturally sweet, but keep in mind that some fruits may be sweeter than others. So adjust your drink sweetness accordingly.