This entry is also available in: Español
MACARONI – Use a short pasta, like elbows, shells or ditalini.
VEGGIES – Celery, red and yellow bell peppers, carrots and red onions adds a nice crunchy touch. Dill pickles will give an extra flavour that everyone loves. Pickled jalapeno is “my secret” ingredient, adds that little spicy touch that I always need in my food.
PROTEINS – Boiled eggs are a classic. You can also make it richer by adding some ham (cubed), cheese or hotdog sausages.
CONDIMENTS – Mayonnaise, yellow mustard and sour cream. Vinegar, salt & pepper and bit of sugar to balance the flavours.
Ready for picnic?
Pack your macaroni salad and enjoy it at the beach, lake, park or anywhere you go. This salad can be made ahead of time and save you lots of time so you can enjoy more this summer. I like to pack them in those weck jars for the go.
Classic macaroni salad
- 300 gr Dry macaroni pasta
- 130 gr Red bell peppers / (1 cup) finely chopped
- 130 gr Yellow bell peppers / (1 cup) finely chopped
- 40 gr Red onions / (1/3 cup) finely chopped
- 60 gr Carrots / (1/2 cup) shredded
- 60 gr Celery / (1/2 cup) finely chopped
- 60 gr Dill pickles / (1/2 cup) finely chopped
- 25 gr Pickled jalapeno / (2 tbsp) finely chopped
- 2 eggs / boiled and finely chopped
- 160 gr Mayonnaise
- 160 gr Sour cream
- 30 gr Yellow mustard 2 tbsp
- 30 ml White vinegar 3 tbsp
- 1 tbsp Parsley / finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Sugar (12 gr)
- Salt & pepper
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni, and cook until tender Drain the pasta and rinse under cool running water.
- Put pasta onto a mixing bowl and add 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise. Coat evenly and set aside.
- Make the dressing: In a medium mixing bowl stir together mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt), vinegar, mustard, sugar, parsley, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add pasta, then the vegetables and pour over the dressing. Mix to evenly coat and adjust of salt and pepper.
- Cover the bowl and put it in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.