This chicken over rice features amazing Mexican flavors, a tender chicken marinated in a simple adobo mixture plus fluffy and flavored Spanish rice. All made in one pan and cooked in the oven!
Chicken With Peppers And Onions Over Rice
Are you thinking about making chicken over rice and not sure what spice and herbs to use? Are you looking for a dish that packs some heat? Try this super easy and tasteful recipe.
When it comes to spicing up your meals, this chicken with peppers and onions over rice will be a game-changer.
The super easy recipe is packed with Mexican flavors. From the earthy taste of the cumin, the peppery hint of the black pepper, to the spicy note of the chili powder, all those amazing flavors complement each other beautifully.
The cooking method
To make things even easier, this chicken over rice is made in one pan only and cooked in the oven. This means fewer dishes to wash and a stress-free meal with little effort. Perfect for those with busy lives but that still want to enjoy a homemade meal every now and then.
- Use a long grain rice, such as Mexican rice, Jasmine, or Basmati. Other types like Arborio or Roma adds too much starch to the recipe and you’ll end with mushy rice.
- Want to tone down the heat? Clean chilies removing seeds and veins, and leave out chili powder.
- Play with flavors and aromas. If you don’t like some spices, leave them out or replace with your favorite ones. Or you can also swap them for fresh herbs like chives, parsley, etc.
How To Make Mexican Chicken Over Rice
Add all spices and oil for the chicken marinade to a medium bowl and mix well. Add chicken to the bowl and coat evenly on all sides. Cover with cling film and place on the fridge for at least 30 minutes (or even better, overnight).
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and lightly grease a baking dish about 10″ x 15″ (25 x 35 cm). Add onions, jalapenos (or bell peppers), salt, pepper, cumin, oil, paprika, and tomato paste to the baking dish.
Pour over the chicken stock (it needs to be hot! please read the notes below) and give it a good mix. Add the rice and mix well, then arrange the chicken over.
Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Uncover the dish and drizzle the chicken with a little bit of oil. Keep baking, uncovered, for another 20 minutes or just until chicken is cooked through.
The cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken, larger pieces needs more time for cooking, but overall you’ll need from 50 to 60 minutes for your chicken to cook through.
Remove the chicken from the dish, fluffy rice with a fork, and return the chicken on top. Cover with foil and allow to rest for another 10 minutes before serving garnished with cilantro.
How To Serve
You can enjoy the tender, spiced chicken over the flavored rice and just garnish with some cilantro. I also love to serve this recipe with a side of grilled corn, refried beans, or even just an easy Mexican cabbage salad.
How To Store & Reheat
Are you wondering how you can store the leftovers? Just place them in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat chicken over rice on the microwave for a couple of minutes or pop it into the oven, covered, for about 5 minutes at 400°F/200°C.
Mexican chicken over rice is perfect for those people who don’t mind a little heat in their dish and for people who like to meal prep their meals so they can enjoy them on another day.
Chicken Over Rice Mexican Style
- 1 Baking dish about 10″ x 15″ (25 x 35 cm).
For chicken & marinade
- 6 chicken thighs or drumsticks (skinless)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika (hot or sweet)
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups long-grain white rice (Mexican rice, basmati, jasmine, etc.)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- ½ cup jalapeños or Anaheim peppers (diced)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- 4 Tbsp oil
- ½ Tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 ¾ cups chicken stock (boiling hot)
- 1 tsp salt (read notes)
- Add all spices and oil for the chicken marinade to a medium bowl and mix well.
- Add chicken to the bowl and coat evenly all sides. Cover and place on the fridge for at least 30 minutes (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and lightly grease a baking dish about 10″ x 15″ (25 x 35 cm).
- Add onions, jalapenos, salt, pepper, cumin, oil, paprika and tomato paste to the baking dish.
- Pour over the chicken stock (make sure it's hot/boiling) and give it a good mix. Add the rice and mix well, then arrange the chicken.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the dish and drizzle the chicken with a little bit of oil.
- Keep baking, uncovered, for another 20 minutes or just until chicken is cooked through (read notes!).
- Remove the chicken from the dish, fluffy rice with a fork and return the chicken on top of rice.
- Cover with foil and allow to rest for another 10 minutes before serving garnished with cilantro.
- The cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken, larger pieces needs more time for cooking, but overall you’ll need from 50 to 60 minutes for your chicken to cook through.
- If you want the chicken to brown a little more on top, place the dish under the broiler for 3-4 minutes.
- When you add salt to rice mixture, please take in mind what kind or brand of chicken stock you’re using. Some brands have more salt on it than others and you might need not salt at all or maybe add a little bit more, depending.
Did you enjoy this Mexican chicken over rice recipe? Please, don’t forget to rate it and leave us a comment below, we’d love to hear from you! Also, remember that you can share it using the buttons below and follow this blog on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, and YOUTUBE!.